You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

@MEB, I know I'm late to the party. But, I often utilize symbols in my designs and had been looking for how to add or build a symbols library. However, I clicked on the link you provided here and it said the video could not be found. Can you provide an updated link?

On 3/21/2019 at 5:25 AM, MEB said:

Hi jc4d,
Currently there's no specific tools to fill objects with vector patterns however you can use symbols help you achieve a similar result - you only have to edit the symbol to update all the instances of it in the project. To learn more about symbols check this video tutorial:  Symbols.

THANK YOU!

• Staff

@katrinaDLT

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

This is the legacy Symbols tutorial (1.5) previously linked to and this is the current symbols tutorial which should be used in preference as found in this official list

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is exactly what I need too. It appears people have been requesting for the pattern fill tool for years now. I use symbols for now but when I watch tutorials with Illustrator using the pattern tool where you can change the orientation, symmetry, and repeat type of the patterns, I feel envious of AI users! I also don't understand why up to this point, Serif hasn't the Warp tool and ability to do curved text!

• 1 month later...

Can I also request we make this a layer effect as well? In Photoshop they have something called Pattern Overlay, it would be cool if I could overlay a vector pattern similar to Photoshop's bitmap pattern overlay. I use pattern overlays a lot in my work to quickly add detail and while this is a minor request it would be really handy for me.

Maybe for the time being use this programe. Its becoming very powerful. You can use duplicator function and make all kind of patterns.

You can export to svg than and insert it in designer.

Wish designer would be able to do some sort of Node action like this programe.

https://cavalry.scenegroup.co/

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version    10.0.17134 Build 17134
System Type    x64-based PC