You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am a freelance graphic designer with a focus on business cards and flyers.

I have no experience with Adobe Illustrator, but I do have some with Photoshop and even GIMP. Which one would be best for someone like me who is not a professional (yet), but wants to turn my skills into a side business?

For business cards and flyers, probably Designer is your best choice, but if you do not have much experience with vector objects there may be a fairly steep 'getting started' learning curve.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Note, both apps have free trials, limited to 10 days from 1st use. try them in sequence.

I too think Designer is a better fit. I'm not a photgrapher, and much of APh is of little or no use to me. If you need to composite or crop images, it works easier than GIMP, so I'm glad to have it on hand.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

It's a joy to have both, tho (and Publisher will rock).

If money is not an issue...As a freelancer, unless you really have a strong source of clients there for business cards, you are going to do a lot of raster and vector work.  If money is an issue, yep, now Designer makes more sense for you. I know a lot of things I can't do with Designer because are more of the field of a raster application, and for those, Photo is great.

For 7 years at latest company, I did most of the design work in Photoshop (flyers, cards, brochures, event posters, etc) . It is doable in certain way, but depends on the jobs/tasks requirements. As a whole solution for freelancing, I see a Photoshop-like (Affinity Photo, Gimp, etc) as a more complete tool in the sense that covers more fields. But those can't certainly export vectors. So, IMO, I wouldn't want to discard any of the two, the raster and the vector tools are a both a must, IMO.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

6 hours ago, SrPx said:

If money is an issue

Now is the spring sale, so you can save something :-)

https://affinity.serif.com/store/

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

18 hours ago, gdenby said:

Note, both apps have free trials, limited to 10 days from 1st use. try them in sequence.

I too think Designer is a better fit. I'm not a photgrapher, and much of APh is of little or no use to me. If you need to composite or crop images, it works easier than GIMP, so I'm glad to have it on hand.

I've utilized the free trial and have been going back and forth in Designer and Photo, so I will probably end up purchasing both.

Edited by tictactoe

8 hours ago, tictactoe said:

What exactly is Publisher. On the About/BETA download page there isn't much info compared to Photo and Designer.

It is for publishing long(er) documents. Books, magazines, ad flyers, brochures etc. At present it is very much printing press centred. If you need multipage documents it is going to do a better job than Designer and/or Photo.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.