You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export Affinity Designer as layers - PSD, Photoshop, Layers

Hi,

I have looked through many forums although can't find the answer to my issue!

I need to export my Affinity Designer files so my suppliers can access all layers of artwork. They ask for PSD although when i export as PSD they say the file is exported as a "flat" image with no layers. When i open the PSD file on my computer, layers show perfectly? Is this a glitch? Or am I exporting it wrong? 

When i Export as PDF, and leave "Don't export layers hidden by Export persona" unchecked - does the PDF export as layers? So if my supplier opens in photoshop or other program they can access them? 

I need a way to just supply my artwork to my supplier in layers. Please help!

Thanks!

Beck 

• Staff

Hi Beck,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Do you mind uploading the original .afdesign file using this link so I can check what's going on? Notice that not all PSD features are supported - for example we don't yet export text objects as editable text layers to PSD (text layers are rasterised on export). Most of common objects should export fine and kept as independent objects/layers. Thanks.

Hi MEB,

Thanks for your response! I have uploaded my AF file to your link. Hopefully we can figure out to export in some way so i can supply this in editable layers to my suppliers - whether as PDF or psd 

Thanks! 

• 5 weeks later...

Either way file should contain layers. Though if you have some set layers arrangement PDF may not keep that, it keeps appearance (and editability) though.

PSD should contain all layers, though text will be converted to pixels and some proprietary effects will not translate well. Notice that if receiving app does not fully support PSD it may only read composite layer (that is ticked in export as "Compatibility Mode" AFAIK) and flat image is result.

• 2 years later...
On 4/29/2019 at 7:37 AM, Fixx said:

Either way file should contain layers. Though if you have some set layers arrangement PDF may not keep that, it keeps appearance (and editability) though.

PSD should contain all layers, though text will be converted to pixels and some proprietary effects will not translate well. Notice that if receiving app does not fully support PSD it may only read composite layer (that is ticked in export as "Compatibility Mode" AFAIK) and flat image is result.

Hi second that.

What's the situation here? My PSDs exported using Persona are all flatten to one unique layer. I'm using 1.9.3 version.

WebSite.pngTwitter.png500px.pngFlickr.png

Ok, looks like the issue is related to multiple things:

• I'm working on a huge document (> 30000 px height), with multiple artboards
  • Artboards are a first issue I guess, but difficult to explain how/why.
  • Second may be the principal: The artboards I'm trying to export contains a curves effects. I noticed that those effects do have a size (even if no bounding box is being drawn when we select them). The problem is that this "size" equals the complete document bouds, including all artboards, which gives the effect an incredible size. This mess up completely on export and flatten the result.

WebSite.pngTwitter.png500px.pngFlickr.png