Stokestack

A way to trim canvas to objects, please

I'm a bit mystified that there's no way to trim the canvas to hold the objects in the document. In this example, how do you trim the canvas to only contain the shape?

canvasExcessive.png

Copy shape to clipboard, and File, New from Clipboard.

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.135, Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135. Affinity Store.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 1809, Build 17763.195.
Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.

Thanks. That's the workaround I used, but this should still be a built-in function. This workaround prevents you from just saving the file; now you have to go through the File dialog and overwrite the old file manually.

9 hours ago, Stokestack said:

I'm a bit mystified that there's no way to trim the canvas to hold the objects in the document. In this example, how do you trim the canvas to only contain the shape?

Hi @Stokestack,

would 'Create Artboard' work for you? You can insert an artboard of the size of the selected object (see the dropdown on the toolbar). This basically sets the canvas and artboard the same size.

d.

Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 (beta 1.7.0.331) - Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 (beta 1.7.0.331) - Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.1.39 - Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77    ...    Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.337

Windows 10 (1803) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil