You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Open office publisher (.pub) files

I'd say that this is close to being a deal-breaker. Can't quite believe that Affinity can't open office publisher files. Many people providing material to Affinity users for updating / more professional design work will be submitting in this format.

1 hour ago, Haitch said:

I'd say that this is close to being a deal-breaker. Can't quite believe that Affinity can't open office publisher files. Many people providing material to Affinity users for updating / more professional design work will be submitting in this format.

Yes, I tried to open a pub file in the program but I can’t. Maybe they will do it in later betas 

On 3/20/2019 at 10:19 PM, coasterdude said:

It would be great if you could open office publisher (.pub) files.

What is an Open Office publisher file? Do you mean an OpenOffice *.odt document or a MS Publisher file? 

AMD A10-6800K, with Radeon HD Graphics 4100 GHz

8 Gb on Windows 10 64-bit build 17763.316 •  My Free OpenType Fonts

3 minutes ago, Bhikkhu Pesala said:

I see. I was not aware that the program was called Office Publisher. I thought it was called Microsoft Publisher. 

On 3/20/2019 at 3:19 PM, coasterdude said:

It would be great if you could open office publisher (.pub) files.

It is part of Microsoft Office. That is where I suppose the word office came from. The main clue would be the file extension the OP kindly provided.

8 hours ago, Haitch said:

I disagree about the many word. At least in my experience, I seldom receive MS Publisher files. Even when I worked at a service bureau it was seldom in the context of how much work we received using PM and QXP. But in most cases, I (or we) left them in MS Publisher and output PostScript for film (and later PDFs). There have been some cases where the publication was rebuilt in a professional layout application.

6 hours ago, coasterdude said:

Yes, I tried to open a pub file in the program but I can’t. Maybe they will do it in later betas 

I wouldn't hold my breath. I think the best you can do if these files are really needed in Affinity Publisher would be to export your .pub files to PDF and open those. Otherwise, it may be wise to continue using MS Publisher for old files or on-going projects and do new work in APub if it can do the type of work you do.

Mike

5 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I disagree about the many word. At least in my experience, I seldom receive MS Publisher files. Even when I worked at a service bureau it was seldom in the context of how much work we received using PM and QXP. But in most cases, I (or we) left them in MS Publisher and output PostScript for film (and later PDFs). There have been some cases where the publication was rebuilt in a professional layout application.

I wouldn't hold my breath. I think the best you can do if these files are really needed in Affinity Publisher would be to export your .pub files to PDF and open those. Otherwise, it may be wise to continue using MS Publisher for old files or on-going projects and do new work in APub if it can do the type of work you do.

Mike

But what happens if we do have pub files and we don’t have MS Publisher? 

3 minutes ago, coasterdude said:

But what happens if we do have pub files and we don’t have MS Publisher? 

Then the files cannot be opened by you directly. There are on-line places that purport to freely convert .pub files to PDF, so that may be an option.

Mike

I'm not in the publishing specific area, but I've had issues receiving pub files (crazy as it sounds, just to explain projects' specs that can equally be put in a docx or better, just a pdf). Some clients have certain resistance to export to pdf, even after requested (I don't blame them, is their tool, and usually, not nerdy people).... There's a complete lack of support of the format in free tools, and the online converters are not the best option, I would say. To say it kindly.

Never a deal breaker for me, tho. Sooner or later the client finds its way to export as PDF, or I'd open it somehow.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

On 3/28/2019 at 10:02 AM, Haitch said:

In no way is opening an MS Publisher .pub file a deal breaker. In fact .pub is a propitiatory file format that I do not think any program can open except for MS products.

But take a look at this article on .pub files.

https://www.lifewire.com/open-pub-files-without-microsoft-publisher-1074669

3 minutes ago, Michail said:

Then you don't need to open MPub files in APub :)

You are correct. If I receive MS Pub files, I'll use MS Pub...unless the client wants them ported to a different layout application. But APub wouldn't be my choice.

Just now, Michail said:

But what would be your choice instead?

First, if using APub, there is at this point no guarantee the release version will open any beta file (but likely the Release Candidate's files would open in the release version). Secondly, as APub is, it is not a very efficient application to layout what I do the most, books. And it likely will not be until such time as there can be automation included and at that I would need it to open QXP-style tagged text files.

But what would I use given the above? It more or less depends. If the client wanted a MS Pub file converted to a professional layout application and did not care what I used per se, it likely would be QXP. If the client chose ID, I would use ID.

3 minutes ago, MikeW said:

But what would I use given the above? It more or less depends. If the client wanted a MS Pub file converted to a professional layout application and did not care what I used per se, it likely would be QXP. If the client chose ID, I would use ID.

Ok. But I hope there are subtle differences in the degree of your dislike between MPub and APub. Otherwise, to answer your earlier question, you deserve my astonishment.