You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD: Scale with Object on Layer Effects Panel

What does the Scale with Object checkbox on the Layer Effects panel do? I've tried resizing objects with the box checked and unchecked and I can't see a difference. It's not even mentioned on the Layer Effects Panel help page.

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

38 minutes ago, casterle said:

It's not even mentioned on the Layer Effects Panel help page.

Each of the layer effects has its own help page, which you can access by expanding the Available layer effects section of the main Using layer effects help topic. So for example, in the Gaussian Blur topic, there is this:

• Scale with Object—when selected (default), the effect scales in proportion to the layer contents if the content is resized. If this option is off, the effect's scale remains unchanged when the layer content is resized.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

53 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Each of the layer effects has its own help page, which you can access by expanding the Available layer effects section of the main Using layer effects help topic. So for example, in the Gaussian Blur topic, there is this:

• Scale with Object—when selected (default), the effect scales in proportion to the layer contents if the content is resized. If this option is off, the effect's scale remains unchanged when the layer content is resized.

I searched for 'effects panel' and found it. This panel is where the checkbox appears - it's not on the individual sub-panels. There is not a mention of the checkbox on the help for the panel where it lives.

Searching for the phrase "scale with object" in quotes returns nothing.

Searching for the words "scale with object" without quotes returns links which do not contain the phrase I'm searching for.

This is a common theme in Affinity help. 

The the help to which you referred me is wrong - the default is NOT selected. It should be, which is what sent me on this quest in the first place. I was looking for a way to set the default to selected.

2 hours ago, casterle said:

Searching for the phrase "scale with object" in quotes returns nothing.

For me it returns 9 results. 8 are for 8 of the 10 individual effects, & one is for the stroke panel. For some reason, the Outer Glow & Color Overlay effects topics are not among them, even though each of those topics has the same "Scale with Object" item.

Regardless, the ToC side panel includes a Layer effects (FX) section & if expanded shows an entry for each effect topic:

980873367_ToCFX.jpg.800de6e54f0cb8c338842b0569e81abc.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 hours ago, R C-R said:

For me it returns 9 results. 8 are for 8 of the 10 individual effects, & one is for the stroke panel. For some reason, the Outer Glow & Color Overlay effects topics are not among them, even though each of those topics has the same "Scale with Object" item.

Regardless, the ToC side panel includes a Layer effects (FX) section & if expanded shows an entry for each effect topic:

980873367_ToCFX.jpg.800de6e54f0cb8c338842b0569e81abc.jpg

I'm on Windows and I see you have a Mac. I wonder if this is something that hasn't caught up all the way on Windows yet. 

2 hours ago, casterle said:

I'm on Windows and I see you have a Mac. I wonder if this is something that hasn't caught up all the way on Windows yet. 

Maybe so, but you should still be able to access the online version of the (Mac) help pages from https://affinity.help. Aside from some keyboard shortcuts & a few platform-specific feature differences, it should include all the same info.

Affinity Photo 

• 3 years later...
On 3/21/2019 at 6:03 AM, casterle said:

The the help to which you referred me is wrong - the default is NOT selected. It should be, which is what sent me on this quest in the first place. I was looking for a way to set the default to selected.

I discovered this feature way too late, and I can't believe it's not enabled by default.

And what a chore to enable it on a lot of objects afterwards.

Enable by default for crying out loud.

On 7/3/2022 at 6:11 AM, Customer Feedback said:

I discovered this feature way too late, and I can't believe it's not enabled by default.

And what a chore to enable it on a lot of objects afterwards.

Enable by default for crying out loud.

According to the help section quoted by 'R C-R' above, it's enabled on Mac. Either the docs are wrong, or it's a bug in the Windows version.

Please, for the love of God, enable this by default on Windows! Better yet, make it an option in preferences.

3 hours ago, casterle said:

According to the help section quoted by 'R C-R' above, it's enabled on Mac. Either the docs are wrong, or it's a bug in the Windows version.

Please, for the love of God, enable this by default on Windows! Better yet, make it an option in preferences.

@casterle 

I've never seen scale with object enabled in macOS for FX or Stroke, nor do I think I've seen it enabled in Windows. Ever. So the documentation and software doesn't help me at all.

/Eddie