You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I get a scanned photo into Affinity photo?

From other posts I've learned that Affinity photo does not directly support scan acquire. I'm using a windows 10 64 bit system, an Epson perfection V550 scanner, and using the the Epson scan software that came with it. How do I use this combination to get the scanned photo into Affinity photo?

If you have the scanned picture/document saved as a file then what's stopping you from opening that in AF.

I have never tried to do it directly - but that's how I do it.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

On my Windows system, I have Affinity Photo as the default program to open tiff files. If I save the files from my scanner program as tiff files, then they automatically open in Affinity.  I'm sure that there would be an equivalent facility on a Mac.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

4 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

I'm sure that there would be an equivalent facility on a Mac.

On a Mac you can have Affinity scan the photo.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just now, walt.farrell said:

Thanks @walt.farrell. I was wondering what Macs were useful for. (I would insert an emoji here if I knew how.)

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Actually, that option relies on the same OS level API that the Mac Image Capture app uses and there being a 'native' 64 bit scan driver installed on the Mac. That driver has to come from the manufacturer of the scanner -- the software provided by third party add-ons like Vuescan won't work with Affinity Photo or Image Capture. I am not sure why but I think it has something to do with malware protection & kernel level access.

So unless the manufacturer offers drivers compatible with the version of the Mac OS installed on the system, & they often stop releasing updates that are, then that feature is a no-go on the Mac version.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 11 months later...
3 minutes ago, Fezwick said:

Very poor excuse blaming the drivers

It is not an excuse. The problem is the scarcity of 64 bit scanner drivers for Windows.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 months later...

Props to @Fezwick 👍

Come on, Serif. You are bang to rights here. Aside from the fact that it is, in my eyes, a poor excuse to point at a scarcity of 64 bit scanner drivers for Windows, there it is in black and grey, "Scanner supported by Windows".

I have no feel for how many users make use of this. That is not necessary for me to make my argument, I make use of this facility. I have only just swapped from PS and the first time I come to a regular part of my workflow and I can't do it. I'm not impressed.

Is there someone monitoring this forum from Serif that can at least give some indication of when this will be resolved? I've paid for something and I'm not getting what I paid for. The least, the very least Serif could do is give us some time line.

Thank you