You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Curves adjustment layer dodge/burn problem

Hello Folks,

I'm trying to replicate the Photoshop method of dodging and burning using a Curves adjustment layer. In photoshop you create the adjustment layer, adjust the curve slightly, invert the mask, set the layer  to luminosity and then draw on it in white to create the desired dodge/burn effect. 

My problem with the Affinity process is that the brush strokes have no effect on the layer or image. I must be missing a step but I'm damned if I can see what! 

Anyone know how it's done?

It's really very straight forward and easy. Check out Affinity Photo tutorial on Non-Destructive Dodge & Burn.

Then link to that tutorial and many others by Affinity is found in one of these forums. Affinity Photo Tutorials

Also there's plenty of tutorials on YouTube.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

1 hour ago, Ron P. said:

It's really very straight forward and easy. Check out Affinity Photo tutorial on Non-Destructive Dodge & Burn.

Then link to that tutorial and many others by Affinity is found in one of these forums. Affinity Photo Tutorials

Also there's plenty of tutorials on YouTube.

Yeah, thanks for that...

Anyone else out there know where I’m going wrong with the specific scenario I outlined? 

Demeisen...

If you have only moved the Curves line slightly, and have set the layer blend mode to Luminosity, you probably can’t expect to see a dramatic change. First, try opening your Curves layer(s) and really exaggerate the curve - drag it to the extremes. Does that change what you’re seeing visually? Second, Option-click on the Curves layer icon in the Layers panel.Is it all black with some white areas where you painted? Third, when painting with white, what are your Opacity, Flow, and Hardness settings? If they are too low, you probably won’t see the effect.

If that doesn’t help, reply with some screen shots, including your Layers panel stack, brush settings, etc.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

4 hours ago, smadell said:

Demeisen...

If you have only moved the Curves line slightly, and have set the layer blend mode to Luminosity, you probably can’t expect to see a dramatic change. First, try opening your Curves layer(s) and really exaggerate the curve - drag it to the extremes. Does that change what you’re seeing visually? Second, Option-click on the Curves layer icon in the Layers panel.Is it all black with some white areas where you painted? Third, when painting with white, what are your Opacity, Flow, and Hardness settings? If they are too low, you probably won’t see the effect.

If that doesn’t help, reply with some screen shots, including your Layers panel stack, brush settings, etc.

Many thanks for your help small. Much appreciated!

The solution was very simple in the end. I just needed to uncheck the brush's 'Protect Alpha' option. After that I could just work my highlights with the Curves Adjustment layer set to Normal. 

Why bother doing this? It allows me to layer up highlights and shadows and still maintain a very granular level of control over the combined effect :-)

Glad you figured it out, Demeisen. The "protect alpha" check box would certainly cause a problem, and I didn't even think of that one. If you protect alpha on a mask, after all, you're preventing the brush from doing anything! Nice find...

Also, when I have used Curves layers to Dodge and Burn, I also use the Luminosity blend mode for the Curves layers. I find that it allows me to lighten and darken as needed, without changing saturation (as a Curves adjustment can often do).

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17