You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Yes, thank you. That does the job. But sometimes it's useful to show/hide the text boxes, while keeping the margins visible. It's also useful to be able to show/hide the margins. These options do not appear to be available in Publisher Beta. Let's hope they can be introduced in the full release version.

1 hour ago, Hugh L'Estrange said:

Yes, thank you. That does the job. But sometimes it's useful to show/hide the text boxes, while keeping the margins visible. It's also useful to be able to show/hide the margins. These options do not appear to be available in Publisher Beta. Let's hope they can be introduced in the full release version.

View > Show Margins

View > Show Text Flow

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you Walt. That's what I was looking for. ['Show Text Flow' is not very intuitive for showing/hiding text boxes; sounds more like showing the chaining of text through different boxes.]

I'd like to assign Keyboard Shortcuts to these actions, but since Publisher Persona is not available yet, presumably that's not possible?

• Staff

Hi Hugh L'Estrange,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Yes, it's possible. To assign shortcuts go to Affinity Publisher Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts section, set the first dropdown to Publisher (the Persona you are using -in this case Publisher) and the second to View (here select the menu where the command you want to assign shortcuts for are). Then look for them (Show Margins and Show Text Flow in the list below - they are in the same order as the menus in the application. Click the respective input filed and then the shortcut you want to use to set them.

5 hours ago, Hugh L'Estrange said:

['Show Text Flow' is not very intuitive for showing/hiding text boxes; sounds more like showing the chaining of text through different boxes.]

I never understood that wording either and when I first started I had to come online to find out how to show/hide text boxes. I think it's completely the wrong name for what it actually does. Add my vote for requesting a more logical name!

Thank you MEB. Worked perfectly! 

re logical names for things, I may be wrong but I get the slight feeling that they're trying to avoid using the same terminology as Adobe InDesign. Since AffPub promises to be so much better  (and cheaper) than InD, I don't see why they can't just go ahead with the same terminology (and shortcuts) to make a seamless transition from one to the other for people like me.

1 hour ago, Hugh L'Estrange said:

I don't see why they can't just go ahead with the same terminology

Probably to avoid accidentally stepping on some trademark or design patent and being forced to change it later after the product is released.

That may sound far-fetched, but such things happen...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.