You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What's your top three pragmatic 1.7 wishlist?

We often see brush sets that are conveniently grouped by style. Presets are grouped by style. Why not group fonts which hundreds?
I want to be able to create and save font sets. for example
1. Favorite fonts
2. Latin fonts
3. Cyrillic fonts
4. OFL licensed fonts
and so on.
This would speed up and simplify the work.

155.png.627707a1e01f307844ae62a2e16ae14a.png

Windows 11 64-bit,

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 + Nvidia 1660 Super + Nvidia Studio driver + 32 Gb RAM.

For fonts management I advice you to use dedicated software like NexusFont or FontBase. Both free and offering much more then you will ever see inside of design software (which would be really just bloating it). Whats best in these managers - you don't have to install fonts in system - as long as the font manager is running system sees them as installed. So you dont bloat your system by installing hundreds of fonts, you can keep everything tidy and organized. Both are working great with Affinity.

One of the things that should not be too hard to implement and that I really would like to see in 1.7 final is a fix of the color profile problem when using a plugin:

This problem is not only affecting the Nik Collection plugins but also Topaz Studio plugins. It is a quite annoying bug and should be reasonably easy to fix.

1) Fix inconsistent color picking, as descirbed here

2) Live textures: add ability to work on LAB/CMYK channels and add color conversion methods (RGB2LAB and LAB2RGB)

3) Return HSV/HSI mode in HSL Adjustment and add LAB mode to HSL (to make it on-par with photoshop one)
LAB mode for HSL as it works in PS described here

Just one item for me: In the curves adjustment box add the ability to specify the points being added (x%, y%) to the curve just like blend options.  This would be immensely helpful for creating digital negatives for alternative processe (e.g. platinum printing)

Nigel

I know someone will hate me for this...

1) WORKFLOW (I know everyone gives a shit at that) !!!!!!!
See here:

2) Suggestions (Ok, based on V. 209 - but many things still valid):

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

These 5 features make me still have PS on my computer:

1. Photoshop "Bitmap" color mode;
  2. Setting "Black", "Gray" and "White" points with additional options (see Photoshop Leves.png in attachment);
  3. "Resize Document..." dialog box to be exact copy of Photoshop's "Image Size" (see Photoshop Image Size.png in attachment). I find Photo's feature rather confusing. It lacks live mode, too;
  4. "Stroke Panel";
  5. "Crop Tool" could work like this:
    a) if nothing is selected -- crop the document;
    b) if object is selected -- crop the object.

Photoshop Image Size.png

Photoshop Levels.png

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• 1 month later...

OK I'm having trouble counting to 3 but these are mainly in the same category, so I think it's allowed :)

Colour stuff:
-HSV colour picker (as opposed to HSL, Lightness and Value are very different creatures)

-Square colour pickers instead of triangular (triangles decrease in resolution in the corners, making it harder to pick the right colour, and it's fidgety thinking about which angle does what)

-Always-on resizable big colour picker in the dock (I can now only have a small triangle, and sometimes I want a BIG square)

-Customisablity of the big square colour picker (so I can control what is on what axis). For example, my favourite colour picker is from Krita, you can make it show Hue and Value in a big square, with a slider up top controlling saturation.

Look at this beatifull colour picker, hue on the x, value on the y, saturation in a stroke on top:
Note also the three small sliders along the bottom for adjusting/tuning in 1 axis.

Capture.PNG.77c69f19e9b4c0feec54d2dd5cd9aa97.PNG

Tool stuff:
"Hotkey" mode for tools. This is a killer feature from Clip Studio Paint, so simple and small but really improves the experience and possibility of reaching "flow state".
In CSP, if you hold down the shortcut for a tool, it becomes "hot", only active as long as you hold down the key. Then when you release the shortcut, it flips back to your original tool. It's delicious.

So youre making nice strokes with the brush, want to use the colour picker, you hold down 1 key on keyboard, pick the colour, then release the key to switch back to the brush.
All it does is save one click but man does it change everything, being able to so quickly switch between 2 tools just by holding your finger over 1 key instead of 2.

My suggestions:

1. Implement an option to send files from Affinity Photo to other external editors.

2. Fix the following bug: When you make a selection in affinity photo and call a plugin to work with it on that selection you get a corrupted preview inside the plugin.

3. Solve incompatibilty problems with plugins. Many people complain about the color problems with Viveza.

Regards, dke

I'd mostly focus in performance and stability. (fixing bugs goes with it, too). 

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 3 weeks later...

1.  AI feature to make photo what I think it should be, without any work.

2 & 3 Same as 1

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

4 minutes ago, Cecil said:

1.  AI feature to make photo what I think it should be, without any work.

2 & 3 Same as 1

From the OP to this thread (with my emphasis added):

On 3/20/2019 at 9:50 AM, dmstraker said:

Yes, we can wish for the moon, but what top three pragmatic changes (that seem 'reasonably easy' to do) would you wish for in the final version of Affinity Photo 1.7?

That aside, now that Affinity Photo 1.7 has been released to retail this discussion is somewhat moot.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

From the OP to this thread (with my emphasis added):

I wanted to add a simple emoji, for some reason stated it was no allowed.  We must always smile, especially at ourselves.  I was not trying to be offensive to your serious thread.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

5 minutes ago, Cecil said:

I wanted to add a simple emoji, for some reason stated it was no allowed.

I wonder why! :/

6 minutes ago, Cecil said:

We must always smile, especially at ourselves.  I was not trying to be offensive to your serious thread.

No worries, Cecil. I’m certainly not offended, and I’m quite sure that Dave Straker (who created the thread) won’t be, either. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

33 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

@Cecil One question, what do you mean by AI? That the program has an artificial intelligence to do the work for you?

In a way yes and no.  My brain would do all the thought processes, AI button the action(s).  Laziness no, at 71 and disabled, what seems easy for most is extremely difficult, at times, for me.  Initially I was captivated by OP question, three improvements.  When working on any project, 100 questions, what and how.  My solution, read each forum post and try to gain some knowledge, while enjoying the project or process I am trying to achieve.  I have to remind myself it’s a hobby, not a business.  I know many are professional level artist and each improvement is paramount in their workflow. Many years ago in a military training setting it was stated: “Continuous improvement is better then delayed Perfection.”

Cecil 

On 5/25/2019 at 2:48 PM, Steven123 said:

So youre making nice strokes with the brush, want to use the colour picker, you hold down 1 key on keyboard, pick the colour, then release the key to switch back to the brush.
All it does is save one click but man does it change everything, being able to so quickly switch between 2 tools just by holding your finger over 1 key instead of 2.

Voted up your post as I am a huge fan of CSP for the mere painting/drawing aspect of it (while image editing, is all A. Photo's terrain, and lately, Photo 1.7 beta is a great painter tool as well) . But posting solely to mention that specially the color picker case, if you have a wacom or any tablet with a pen having side buttons, you can surely configure that one to hold alt key, as does exactly what you described, once you drop alt key, it's back to the brush [yep, obviously is rather interesting to have it so for other tools: is the great trick for comic colorists (actually, most of a case for flatters) to do the flats, with hot-triggering back and force the lasso, picker and other tools...]. With the real key directly, not in the side pen button, it has top performance. When configuring in my wacon pen (in my machine), it offers some performance delay or not activating at times. (can be very well a specific wacom's driver issue, or my arcane PC, or glorified typewriter). I have avoided that TOTALLY with a tool utility that sits in between the pen and Photo, so that I don't set ALT in the side pen button, but a non existing, virtual 5th button mouse (triggers nothing else, as my mouse is 3 buttons) which the utility -through my x-mouse configuration- interprets as an ALT key signal. Works at LIGHT SPEED, as fast as the real key or faster.

Anyway, if used to the keyboard (I am for any other function but that one...I mean, I can, I used to, but is freeing to paint relying more in the pen), alt key is your friend, and works great for the temp color picker you are willing to have, so to have always the brush, and temporarily the picker. So, this functionality (identical to PS in that regard) is already there, for the picker, that is.

You can also config the alt key in any tablet button, if so you wish. Or, with the help of this free utility ( X-Mouse Button Control ) , or a software that assigns functions to your mouse buttons, if u have that, you could configure the alt key in one of those. People having a gaming mouse, (and used to that of triggering many functions in a mouse, and not having carpal tunnel or the like, obviously) can do this very easily (ie, a razor mouse) . I haven't tried that, though. 

I have a Lord Of The Rings' length-wise post somewhere around, explaining step by step how to do the side button trick with the utility. But only if you notice performance issues while picking color with alt in the side button of the pen (with just the key NO ISSUES) . Which most clearly wont be an issue anyway if a single one or more of this conditions apply a) you have a newer PC than 2009, b) you are not picking colors like crazy all the time using a glazing technique to find intermediate tones (ie, instead of using a blending brush or etc). c) It's an issue with my old Intuos Pro 4 XL, and its interaction with the Wacom driver, and all other tablets are fine. Anyhow, with my config, zero probs. Reason why my only desires for Photo and Designer are stability and performance. (a bit OT, but warp for designer to any shape shines to me as quite important). Maybe adding TGA would bring quite many licenses (but I can see how this would also need a revamp of the channels handling, is not just the format). Just like in AD (sorry the OT again) DXF would for the world of laser cutting business and many related. Those 3 things alone might bring quite many purchases, but...IMO, we'd have nothing for pro work without performance and stability. With these two, no matter what people say, you can workaround the others (meanwhile, but...most features requested are actually a must, sooner or later...very few -at least among the pro-  are asking for irrelevant ones), even if difficult. But with stability issues, bugs of probs with performance... much harder. (not saying the tools have them in abundance. :)  ...any app has these one way or the other)

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

31 minutes ago, Cecil said:

In a way yes and no.  My brain would do all the thought processes, AI button the action(s).  Laziness no, at 71 and disabled, what seems easy for most is extremely difficult, at times, for me.  Initially I was captivated by OP question, three improvements.  When working on any project, 100 questions, what and how.  My solution, read each forum post and try to gain some knowledge, while enjoying the project or process I am trying to achieve.  I have to remind myself it’s a hobby, not a business.  I know many are professional level artist and each improvement is paramount in their workflow. Many years ago in a military training setting it was stated: “Continuous improvement is better then delayed Perfection.”

Does the current macro system help you a little in this ? I know is not super advanced, but...might smooth some sharp corners. Photoshop actions work a lot like this. Also, maybe the scripting if it comes here ( I wont care if is JS or Python I kindda like both syntax..maybe python is easier), would also help, so to very specifically create your own "AI" :) .

1 hour ago, SrPx said:

Does the current macro system help you a little in this ? I know is not super advanced, but...might smooth some sharp corners. Photoshop actions work a lot like this. Also, maybe the scripting if it comes here ( I wont care if is JS or Python I kindda like both syntax..maybe python is easier), would also help, so to very specifically create your own "AI" :) .

All is great, enjoying the travel...

Cecil 

2 hours ago, Cecil said:

Will probably be a while before we start seeing more AI being added into these types of softwares, but it does sound pretty cool. I look forward to the day I will have to plug in my brain to just think up stuff on the spot. :D

• 3 weeks later...

1.  select all same color tagged layers at once while selecting one of them in viewport  with a special hotkey  

2.  showing only same color tagged layers once selecting one of them with another hotkey . Kind of a layer comp

3. duplicating a layer would inherit its color tag