You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What's your top three pragmatic 1.7 wishlist?

9 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Which tools are missing settings being saved?

I have not tried every tool with every setting, but the following occurs in both Affinity Photo Windows 1.6.5.123 and the beta 1.7.0.258:

Some tools that re-set to default values include:

1. Color Picker Radius if changed from 1x1 will reset to 1x1 if the same file is saved & then re-opened or if a new file is opened.
  2. Similarly, Flood Select Tool Tolerance if changed from 20% will re-set to 20% if the same file is saved & then re-opened or if a new file is opened.
  3. Patch Tool Rotation and Scale if changed from rotation 0 degrees and scale 100% will reset if the same file is saved & then re-opened or if a new file is opened.

Conversely, some tools that hold their values after closing & reopening the same or a different file include:

1. Selection Brush Width if changed from default retains the changed value if the same file is saved & then re-opened or if a new file is opened.
  2. Burn Brush Tool: Width, Opacity , Flow, Hardness, Length retain changed values if the same file saved & then re-opened or if a new file is opened. I did not test if Stabilizer, Mirror, Lock, Tonal Range, Protect hue retain their status or not.

Non-systematic testing of other tools indicates that some re-set to a default value while others retain a changed value.

If desired, I can send the rather tedious step-by-step testing that shows the above behavior.

I am no expert in Affinity Photo or interface design, but some consistency would be helpful. The ability to set tool behavior (retain vs reset to default when a file opens) either for all tools, by tool groups, or by individual tools would be helpful. An atomistic tool-setting-by-tool setting would be excessive (e.g. a user could set Burn Brush Width and Flow to reset to defaults but Burn Brush Hardness and Length would not reset).

It might be desirable for the user to be able set the default values. For example, if you routinely worked with high resolution images, possibly higher default values for some tools would be more convenient.

For comparison, in Adobe Photoshop CC the Color Picker radius or Magic Wand radius (which are always in agreement, changing one changes the other to the same value) will stay at the value when changed, they do not reset to a default when the file is closed or a new file is opened. This is different from Affinity Photo's re-setting the Color Picker Tool to 1x1. Similarly, the Ps Patch Tool retains the Structure and Color setting when these are changed.

Edited by 4Lakes
Added 3 final paragraphs.

Develop Persona - Crop Tool - Mode ... remember last setting used

RAW (CR2) should open brighter (without adding a Tone Curve in Assistant Manager (image + histogram)

RAW-APh.PNG

Affinity Photo

RAW-DPP4.PNG

Digital Photo Professional 4

RAW-Nomacs.PNG

Nomacs

sidecar files

Affinity Photo 2.0.4  |   Affinity Designer 1.10.5.1342 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.5.1342

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 64bit | Intel Core i7 8750H @ 2.2 GHz | Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (Studio Driver) | Intel UHD Graphics 630 | 16 GB Dual Channel DDR4

https://www.flickr.com/photos/owlp

@owlp absolutelly no need of sidecar files. They are usually used by software that does not support layers.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

1 hour ago, Petar Petrenko said:

@owlp absolutelly no need of sidecar files. They are usually used by software that does not support layers.

They do remember the steps done in Develop Persona, if you want to do changes later.

Affinity Photo 2.0.4  |   Affinity Designer 1.10.5.1342 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.5.1342

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 64bit | Intel Core i7 8750H @ 2.2 GHz | Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (Studio Driver) | Intel UHD Graphics 630 | 16 GB Dual Channel DDR4

44 minutes ago, owlp said:

They do remember the steps done in Develop Persona, if you want to do changes later.

There is option to save history with the files in Affinity apps.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

46 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Nevertheless, sidecar file is still on  my wish list. ;)

1 hour ago, Petar Petrenko said:

LOL how do you store history or layers in the RAW conversion part (develop persona) of the software? - That's the posters point here, there is no memory of previous performed steps which are associated with a RAW file on the RAW development side.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I believe @owlp means files like the .xml files from ACR which allows you a later editing of the editing you have done before. In this files are stored the steps of the development and that has nothing to do with the protocol which you can export with the image if you export it from Photo Persona because in this will be nothing stored what was done in Develop Persona.
That is for real a good Idea and i remember that there is a  Thread in the forum where this feature was discussed and the answer was that affinity will develop a Digital Asset Manager where those or similar files will be saved.
So far as i know at this time it is only possible to create a preset in Develop Pesona which you can use for the image which you are editing and this preset will be saved in the programm and you can use it again and edit it, but that is not a good solution if you want to edit thousands of Photos because you need for every image a seperate preset and later you spend much more time with searching the right preset from the drop down menu than time for development because the created preset for the image will not be opened automaticlly with the image.

Hm.. maybe it would be possible to save the preset togehter with the image like a sidecar file and to open it automatilly with the image in Develop Persona?
It is only a suggestion and i do not know if it is possible. I am not a programmer.

But my biggest wish is that the boolean operations will be fixed soon in all three apps :)

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

7 hours ago, Uwe367 said:

I believe @owlp means files like the .xml files from ACR which allows you a later editing of the editing you have done before....

That's what I meant by sidecar files. They are stored automatically in the same folder the pictures are and loaded automatically when you open the RAW file again.

1. My first wish is that not so much space is wasted. So are
     a) many panels just too big (height and width).
     b) other panels are too wide.
     c) the line spacing within the panels could be smaller
     e) in the case of the effect 'Outline', all effects are displayed again
     f) The customization thumbnails are superfluous and they also take up space.

1. Mein erster Wunsch ist, dass nicht soviel Platz vergeudet wird. So sind
     a) viele Panels einfach zu groß (Höhe und Breite).
     b) andere Panels sind zu breit.
     c) der Zeilenabstand innerhalb der Panels könnte kleiner sein
     e) im Falle des Effektes 'Umrandung' werden alle Effekte nochmals angezeigt
     f) die Thumbnails bei 'Anpassung' sind überflüssig und sie nehmen ebenfalls Platz weg.

einige Beispiele zeigt das folgende Image.
some examples shows the following image.

Die Wünsche 2 und 3 folgen noch.
The wishes 2 and 3 still follow.

Platzvergeudung.thumb.jpg.2c3c1768ebf7e2910684e915b3f93e4f.jpg

Windows 10 Prof.; Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481, Beta 1.8.0.532

1- Performance improvements in the brush system (being able to paint with somewhat larger/complex brushes without delay, as in other apps). But I have seen a lot of improvement in the 1.7 betas, in many things brush/painting related. 

2-  Ability to disable the brush cursor outline. To be able to paint with a small cursor (not the size of a Windows cursor) / cross / small triangle only (one small thingy, that is), and/or the brush preview (which happily , you can enable/disable already). As indeed, being able to paint only with the brush preview, with no cursor and no outline is convenient for a bunch of situations. (still, a crosshair or tiny triangle or fat dot is a must for many others)

3- Any improvement in stability and performance in general in the application. (in these regards, no issues on my side, but people are reporting these, and it's never enough, for professional production... )

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

@Guzzi

a) many panels just too big (height and width).

Just open the Layer Effects panel. Now click on "3D". You'll notice the controls now use the whole panel's vertical space which appeared empty before.
With a dynamic window/panel size, there would be sudden size changes according to the contents of the active tab. Believe me: You would deeply hate it if the panel would happily cover more or less of your picture according to the setting selected. :)

b) other panels are too wide.

Similar reason. Some settings need more horizontal space to be displayed correctly or to provide ample space for fine tuninng of e. g. sliders.
Again, a dynamically changing width would cause real disturbing effects. O.o

c) the line spacing within the panels could be smaller

Could be. But the question is: Should be?
Some more line spacing allows precise and easy hitting each line with the mouse pointer, you don't need to concentrate too much on the click action, you can still focus on the effects on the picture displayed without shifting your view for precisely hitting the right line.

e) in the case of the effect 'Outline', all effects are displayed again

Luckily that's the case.
That way, you can pick the floating panel and move it to another screen of a multi monitor setup.
You can even choose "Float All" in the Window menu, move all your tools to a secondary monitor while having just the image (without any controls or other UI elements) fullscreen on the main display.
So that "issue" indeed provides a lot of flexibility.

f) The customization thumbnails are superfluous and they also take up space.

Partly agree. Can be disturbing,  can also be quite neat.
Example: I often need a blue/red color channel swap for processing IR photos. Thus I saved that as a preset which displays as a preview thumbnail in the list. A simply click does the swap. Unfortunately, this only works with the Adjustment tab, it's not possible to select previously saved presets in the single panels, like Channel Mixer. WHY ? o.O
Would be fine if there was a way of deactivating those thumbnails - and/or restrict that thumbnail display to my own presets.
It's also a real nuisance that a simple click on an adjustment's name immediately applies the first displayed option to the picture - but a second click does not revert that action. Just try the "Invert" adjustment.

Tipp: If you wish to avoid those thumbnails, just switch to the Layers tab, select the adjustments via the Adjustments icon at the bottom: That way, there's no thumbnails at all.

1 hour ago, Jörn Reppenhagen said:

Tipp: If you wish to avoid those thumbnails, just switch to the Layers tab, select the adjustments via the Adjustments icon at the bottom: That way, there's no thumbnails at all.

Hallo Jörn!

I'm still working with Windows 7 and I find neither in 1.6.5.123 nor under 1.7.0.258 beta in the menu 'levels' a point 'adjustments'.
Ich arbeite noch mit Windows 7 und da finde ich weder in 1.6.5.123 noch unter 1.7.0.258 Beta im Menü 'Ebenen' einen Punkt 'Anpassungen'.

923320266_MenEbenen.thumb.jpg.be2f9f6ccc30144009f3b53695087b7b.jpg

Thank you for the quick reply.  Also, thank you for the detailed explanations and justifications that I accept. Although I've been working with AP for a few months and have only edited JPG photos so far (and will continue to do so in the future), I'm still far from getting into the depths and subtleties of the program.

Auch danke ich für die ausführlichen Erläuterungen und Begründungen, die ich akzeptiere. Obwohl ich mich schon seit einigen Monaten mit AP beschäftige und bisher nur Fotos im Format JPG bearbeitet habe (und das wird auch in Zukunft hauptsächlich so bleiben) bin ich noch lange nicht in alle Tiefen und Feinheiten des Programms eingedrungen.

In addition, I have long suspected that the developers work with two or more monitors. I do not have this possibility and am therefore disadvantaged in terms of workflow.

Außerdem habe ich schon länger die Vermutung, dass die Entwickler mit zwei oder mehreren Monitoren arbeiten. Diese Möglichkeit habe ich nicht und bin daher benachteiligt, was den Workflow angeht. Besten Dank für die rasche Antwort

Grüße
Guzzi

2. My second wish is: If I want to export an edited image, the folder from which the image was imported should be suggested.
    No matter in which way the opening takes place.

I work with XnView as image viewer. I am in folder A and select a photo there with 'Open with Affinity Photo Beta' 1.7.0.258. There I edit the image and want to export it to the same folder with a different name. However, I am suggested a folder X. (The, in which I last exported).

I open another photo in the same way from folder A, when exporting after editing I suggested the folder A. That's OK.

Now I'm in AP Beta 258 and go to File-> Open. It is suggested to me a folder Y. I choose folder B instead and open some photos there. After editing, folder A will be suggested when exporting the first photo. That is not OK. Therefore, I have to manually select the folder B and can then save.

If I edit another picture I suggest to export the folder B. This is OK again.

I'm still in AP Beta and go to File-> Open. It is suggested to me folder B. I choose folder C instead and open some photos there.  After editing, folder B will be suggested when exporting the first photo. That is not OK.

2. Mein zweiter Wunsch ist: Wenn ich ein bearbeitetes Bild exportieren möchte, soll der Ordner vorgeschlagen werden, aus dem das Bild importiert wurde.
    Egal in welcher Art das Öffnen erfolgt.   

Ich arbeite mit XnView als Bildbetrachter. Ich befinde mich im Ordner A und wähle dort ein Foto aus mit 'Öffnen mit Affinity Photo Beta' 1.7.0.258. Dort bearbeite ich das Bild und möchte es in denselben Ordner mit anderem Namen exportieren. Vorgeschlagen wird mir jedoch ein Ordner X. (Der, in den ich zuletzt exportiert habe). Ich muss Ordner A manuell auswählen.

Ich öffne ein weiteres Foto in derselben Weise aus Ordner A, beim Exportieren nach der Bearbeitung wird mir der Ordner A vorgeschlagen. Das ist OK.

Nun bin ich in AP Beta 258 und rufe Datei-> Öffnen auf. Es wird mir ein Ordner Y vorgeschlagen. Ich wähle statt dessen Ordner B und öffne dort einige Fotos. Nach der Bearbeitung wird beim Exportieren des ersten Fotos Ordner A vorgeschlagen. Das ist nicht OK. Daher muss ich manuell den Ordner B auswählen und kann erst dann speichern.

Bearbeite ich ein weiteres Foto wird beim Exportieren der Ordner B vorgeschlagen. Das ist wieder OK.

Ich bin nach wie vor in AP Beta und rufe Datei-> Öffnen auf. Es wird mir Ordner B vorgeschlagen. Ich wähle statt dessen Ordner C und öffne dort einige Fotos. . Nach der Bearbeitung wird beim Exportieren des ersten Fotos Ordner B vorgeschlagen. Das ist nicht OK.

Guzzi

1.  easy to do  and allready halfway implemented:       shortcut to deselect pixelmasks from the Layerstack...   affinity allready put in the short cut to cmd+shift+lmb click on a Layericon to select  ! Additive !   like in Photoshop layer masks.  So you dont have to add them one by one in the spare channels... 

but to deselect from a selecttion the shortcut is still missing..

2. embedd linked pdf files, but give the option to link the rasterised version also whithout loosing the link to the original pdf file...  this would ease the workflow for thousends of Architects..  they never need the option to tweek single lines in theire floreplan CAd to pdf prints, they import to photo...   its just done by far easier inside the cad applicatieon...  but still an imported pdf from  a  cad file  should be linked not only embeded, also when it is rasterised.

3. still speedimprovements for large documents needed...  here photoshop still excels over affinity photo..   dont know wasnt it told, affinity is still working on gpu speed booosts ?

8 hours ago, Tom Schülke said:

3. still speedimprovements for large documents needed...  here photoshop still excels over affinity photo..   dont know wasnt it told, affinity is still working on gpu speed booosts ?

Probably they do some optimization in the GPU, but.... I think it has been replied in some occasion, I'm gonna say it completely wrong, as I don't know anything about programming, and very little about hardware internals, but..... that in Affinity it's mostly all about CPU,  as GPU acceleration is good for very specific, controlled and pre defined scenarios (like in games). But that the issue here is that at some point there's needed the translation from GPU through the BUS and rest of the system, and that back and forth is very slow.  PS (Photoshop) does not use well CPUS' multiple cores (hence why it tends to prefer very fast clock in single core, multiple cores not being a benefit in benchmarks, and happens to some of the other adobe apps) while Affinity makes very good use of multiple core/threads (which is brilliant, and more future (heck, present) proof). I wouldn't be surprised if the need to resort to GPU might have slightly sth to do as well with the limits of not using more the multiple cores of today's CPUs (looking at how PS performs when disabling the GPU optimization). Overall, looking at the performance of latest trials, I would dare to say PS has nothing to teach regard performance, to any brand, at all... (Clip Studio Paint, yeah, that one can teach a thing or two.  I dunno how they achieve what they do, with such large canvasses and crazy number of layers, but not the case of ps, it's quite the opposite.... )

I mean, I know PS when activating gpu aceleration, the painting experience is tons better, but give it a try to load it in a pc with too crappy card to even activate it (made thorough tests!).. you end up setting cpu only, and not only that does looks, UGLY, it's DOG SLOW (and yet if are nerdy fine tuning the system, is POSSIBLE to leave it fine in a cr4ppy machine). While in Affinity P., without that large GPU acceleration, it works pretty smooth in my machine...  An uber old PC like this, tho, gets killed by most apps when using a +300px brush, but as I'm saying, that's happening in every app (except CSP. It happens there, but less).

Also for better performance with RAWs, large files, etc... I'd say that's indeed mostly the case of CPU, RAM and SSDs disks ! Even more: I've tested lately a bunch of GPU accelerated paint apps. And I hate most of them for an important reason productivity related: Most of them, well, all, do then impose a limit in the canvas size (you do have canvas size software based limits in every app, PS and AP included, but those are much larger than what these digital gpu based painting tools allow). Outstandingly low limit in terms of document's pixel dimensions. This is end of the game for printing works in raster. Which is the output of a ton of digital painters, many types of illustrators, too. This even happens to the iPad with certain digital painting applications, and the issue is very similar. (funnily, from what I have read, you can work with  larger canvases in Affinity apps than in those digital painting-only iOS apps... )

Some PS GPU acceleration non painting related features, while working yet at companies,  I used to disable them as were a bit annoying (like certain panning extra animation: Not only disturbing, it'd slow me down... )

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

16 minutes ago, Guzzi said:

Hi Guzzi,
SrPx has posted a comment on a topic, What's your top three pragmatic 1.7 wishlist?

Hallo SrPx.

I am not the contact person for your wishes.
Ich bin nicht der Ansprechpartner für Deine Wünsche.

Guzzi

Edit : Never mind....

So many people so many wishes, for me is fast and stability the only wishes

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.