You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What's your top three pragmatic 1.7 wishlist?

Yes, we can wish for the moon, but what top three pragmatic changes (that seem 'reasonably easy' to do) would you wish for in the final version of Affinity Photo 1.7?

Mine are:

1. Use the excellent colour range selection in the new HSL in Select Sampled Colour.
  2. Restore HSV checkbox in HSL.
  3. Double-click all sliders to reset to default/zero.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

3 hours ago, dmstraker said:

Yes, we can wish for the moon, but what top three pragmatic changes (that seem 'reasonably easy' to do) would you wish for in the final version of Affinity Photo 1.7?

Not trying to force users to use *.tiff.  Although seemingly trivial, it drives me nuts.  See my post in the below thread:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/69667-photo-saves-as-both-tif-and-tiff/&do=findComment&comment=360869

4 hours ago, dmstraker said:

Mine are:

1. Use the excellent colour range selection in the new HSL in Select Sampled Colour.
  2. Restore HSV checkbox in HSL.
  3. Double-click all sliders to reset to default/zero.

Also a reset for the CLONE TOOL ... just a simple inoffensive button to click to revert it back to default values QUICKLY

Thanks

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

19 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Also a reset for the CLONE TOOL ... just a simple inoffensive button to click to revert it back to default values QUICKLY

Thanks

At the risk of sucking eggs, if you're cloning on the same layer, it can be removed with the Undo brush.

Dave Straker

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

5 minutes ago, dmstraker said:

At the risk of sucking eggs, if you're cloning on the same layer, it can be removed with the Undo brush.

Um ... I am asking for a reset of the clone brush, not undoing something that has been cloned

If one (say) flips the clone tool and clones at a (say) 45° angle .... all I am asking is a reset to put the 

Angle back at zero

The Flips and Scale back to none

2019-03-20_11-03-05.jpg

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

1. Restore xml based Lensfun camera profile settings, as it was in 1.6, instead of the binary file. Now it's not so many people's problem, but many users will face this problem when 1.7 is released, and auto lens-correction won't work for their cameras/lenses. Without this, I won't upgrade to 1.7.

2. Possibility to save raw settings into file.

3. Some performance improvement could be fine, however it's not as important as 1 and 2.

Hello dmstraker,
a good idea of you.
Let's see what's of the wish list, is realized. The Hope dies last.

1. Development-Persona settings, save in a sidecar file.
2. Rename of the spare channel during the macro recording.
3. Reset all sliders per double Click (Zero or default)

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

2 hours ago, Rick G said:

Um ... I am asking for a reset of the clone brush, not undoing something that has been cloned

Mmm. Eggs. Grandparents. :)

Dave Straker

46 minutes ago, dmstraker said:

Mmm. Eggs. Grandparents. :)

??? I don't understand. Disclaimer: I may be a bit slow today

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

• Clickable up and down (or left and right) buttons to help set the numeric values for things like strokes. If find myself under or overscrolling sometimes and can eventually waste time. ( it would also be nice to be able to set the fractional range of the buttons in settings, ie: every .25, .5 or so on) maybe even the added function of shift snapping.
  • HSL adjustment numeric input and info output. Right now it's great with the update but disappoints with the arbitrary nature of sliders. You can't be accurate without having a numerical readout of the position and value of the location of the slider nodes. Would love to see something like Photoshop's but with an Affinity twist. I also second bringing back the ability to selecting the HSV version and maybe even HSL or HSB too! and and let's not forget, resetting to default ranges button.
  • HSL Adjustment 6 Hues or 12 Hues setting. Would love to be able to grab the inbetween hues of the major 6 like, orange which is between Red and Yellow (This could also be accomplished with the numeric inputs mentioned about)
  • Persistent Mask editing with Adjustments. Would love to stay within the mask view (alt+click on mask) to apply adjustments to masks instead of being forced out of the mask view with the addition of an adjustment layer or filter. 
  • Distribution function for gradient color nodes. This would be fantastic for more symmetrical gradients either by selecting all of the nodes and distributing them along the range equally or even between selected nodes.
  • Buttons for creating spare channels. 
  • Modifier + Click channel selections, plus addition and subtractions.

These are just to name a few quickies :13_upside_down:

4 hours ago, Zabalint said:

1. Restore xml based Lensfun camera profile settings, as it was in 1.6, instead of the binary file. Now it's not so many people's problem, but many users will face this problem when 1.7 is released, and auto lens-correction won't work for their cameras/lenses. Without this, I won't upgrade to 1.7.

3. Some performance improvement could be fine, however it's not as important as 1 and 2.

1. Has been done, it should be available soon

3. There's been plenty of performance improvements during this beta, hopefully we're not finished...

4 hours ago, Rick G said:

Probably related to https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/118200.html

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, Rick G said:

Sorry: oblique reference to the saying 'Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs' -- being that I was talking about using the undo brush while suspecting that you knew full well how to use it.

Dave Straker

1. Fix all the bugs
  2. Implement all the since 5 years mentioned (will come sometime) missing things, start with those always by people most demanded
  3. Did I already mentioned fix all the bugs? - Ok then let's add, ...and then hopefully do not introduce new ones (I know, always easily said but often hard to avoid)

Keep on coding!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, dmstraker said:

Sorry: oblique reference to the saying 'Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs' -- being that I was talking about using the undo brush while suspecting that you knew full well how to use it.

That was a new one for me. I was not trying to be obtuse; I really didn't understand

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

1. Better R click shortcuts to stuff that already exist inside Affinity (i.e. merge selected should be in the R click menu when interacting with layers).

2. Quality of life improvements, like being able to alt+drag layers to duplicate them like it works in Photoshop. Another would be the ability to flip/rotate individual layers instead of the entire canvas, as well as making the new symmetry tool have a reset position to center of canvas option (could make it so that double clicking the square shape actually resets the position back to default or using any of the modification keys when clicking on it).

3. More consistency across tools regarding specific modification keys. For instance, you can use ctrl on any of the shape tools to be able to transform each from the center of the shape. However, none of the marquee tools or the crop tool is able to use ctrl to transform the shape from the center, which is how it works in Photoshop as well.

I do have a 4th one as well, but since I don't know how complicated it is to actually fix, I will just briefly mention it. Smoother transparency transitions for soft brush strokes on 8-bit canvases, so that the quality matches Photoshop 8-bit. There are a few issues there that make painting in Affinity not so ideal, so any fix to this will make my day. :)

10 hours ago, Rick G said:

That was a new one for me. I was not trying to be obtuse; I really didn't understand

Apologies. I'm in the UK. "Two countries separated by a common language" -- George Bernard Shaw (attributed)

Dave Straker

1 hour ago, dmstraker said:

Apologies. I'm in the UK. "Two countries separated by a common language" -- George Bernard Shaw (attributed)

HAHA tell me about it. We have a Costa Rican friend who asks us about some of southern slang. |Yall| Yalls" and I have even heard |Yall'sis" And of course I am "fixin'" to go to town. unless I wish to add emphasis then I am "DONE fixin' to go to town" Of course if we were in Louisiana, I would have to explain that someone born there is a "coon-ass"

We usually advise to NOT incorporate these into speech, rather know what they are when they hit youxD

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

1. Double-click on a slider to reset that slider to default/zero.

2. Store history or snapshots of raw development settings in sidecar file. Ironically, the history can be saved for Affinity Photo Persona (unlike Photoshop's inability to do so) but unfortunately Affinity Photo Develop is unable to save the history or at least snapshots (both of which Lightroom can do; even Adobe Camera Raw can at least save snapshots). With Affinity Photo, you have to start over from the beginning even if you just want to change one adjustment.

3. Save settings for tools.