Hi,

I'm new to affinity designer although I have been using affinity photo for a while. I'm needing to convert some type to outlines. Bit confused- is converting to 'curves' the same as converting to outlines and how do I do it?

Thanks!

Yes Curves are the same as outlines

1. Make sure you have the Move tool selected (V)
  2. Select the text
  3. Click on Convert to curves

Affinity Photo will create a group with all of the letters on separate layers as curves that can be edited.

Screen-Shot-2019-03-20-at-07-51-35.png

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Designer (ADe) Tutorials - Affinity Photo (APh) Tutorials Instagram & Flickr

Adding slightly to what @firstdefence said, if you want just the unfilled, 'hollow' outlines of the text characters, you can do that after converting the text to separate curves by selecting all of them, adding a stroke of the desired outline width, & setting their fill to "none."

917280790_hollowtext.jpg.1f1be70c2cd956e594e08150e8f3d02b.jpg

As was done here, you may also want to adjust the spacing between the individual curves a bit for a little different, more uniform look.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

Posted (edited)

Hi, related to the OP's question, when I convert text to outline (using the curves function), and export as an EPS file, my printer still sees the text as images when importing into AI. Consequently, most of the "text" appears pixelated on their end. How do I resolve this? I've uploaded the AD artwork file, along with some screen captured examples of what my printer is seeing. Thanks in advance for your help.

Edit: removed AD file

image004.jpg

image005.jpg

image vs outline.JPG

Edited by Nomader

@>|< opacity isn't the issue. For some reason when exporting as an EPS file, even though all the text areas were converted to Curves, most of the text still showed up as pixelated when opening in AI. I hired a graphic designer with experience in AD who suggested exporting in PDF instead. That resolved the issue. The printer was able to open the PDF in AI and everything was crisp and clear—no pixelated text like the EPS file had. So this appears to be a bug in AD.

Affinity can only use the PDF streams from adobe files the rest is propriety Adobe code. Affinity can export Adobe friendly PDF's with code that Adobe can read, PDF also has vector capabilities as well as raster, so for most everything related to Affinity - Adobe - Affinity, PDF is probably best option.

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Designer (ADe) Tutorials - Affinity Photo (APh) Tutorials Instagram & Flickr

4 hours ago, Nomader said:

@>|< opacity isn't the issue. For some reason when exporting as an EPS file, even though all the text areas were converted to Curves, most of the text still showed up as pixelated when opening in AI.

Opacity absolutely is an issue when exporting to EPS. EPS does not support semi-opacity, so Affinity rasterises semi-opaque objects when exporting to EPS.

Inside the opaque group named "Product Use and Care", you have two semi-opaque groups: "Product Use and Care" and "Product Use URLs". If you make these inner groups 100% opaque, then they will not be rasterised in an EPS export.