You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Yes Curves are the same as outlines

1. Make sure you have the Move tool selected (V)
  2. Select the text
  3. Click on Convert to curves

Affinity Photo will create a group with all of the letters on separate layers as curves that can be edited.

Screen-Shot-2019-03-20-at-07-51-35.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Adding slightly to what @firstdefence said, if you want just the unfilled, 'hollow' outlines of the text characters, you can do that after converting the text to separate curves by selecting all of them, adding a stroke of the desired outline width, & setting their fill to "none."

917280790_hollowtext.jpg.1f1be70c2cd956e594e08150e8f3d02b.jpg

As was done here, you may also want to adjust the spacing between the individual curves a bit for a little different, more uniform look.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, related to the OP's question, when I convert text to outline (using the curves function), and export as an EPS file, my printer still sees the text as images when importing into AI. Consequently, most of the "text" appears pixelated on their end. How do I resolve this? I've uploaded the AD artwork file, along with some screen captured examples of what my printer is seeing. Thanks in advance for your help.

Edit: removed AD file

image004.jpg

image005.jpg

image vs outline.JPG

Edited by Nomader

@>|< opacity isn't the issue. For some reason when exporting as an EPS file, even though all the text areas were converted to Curves, most of the text still showed up as pixelated when opening in AI. I hired a graphic designer with experience in AD who suggested exporting in PDF instead. That resolved the issue. The printer was able to open the PDF in AI and everything was crisp and clear—no pixelated text like the EPS file had. So this appears to be a bug in AD.

Affinity can only use the PDF streams from adobe files the rest is propriety Adobe code. Affinity can export Adobe friendly PDF's with code that Adobe can read, PDF also has vector capabilities as well as raster, so for most everything related to Affinity - Adobe - Affinity, PDF is probably best option.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions