You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot preview RAW files in the app

When I attempt to import an uploaded raw file from the “Import from Photos” option the app takes me to the photos but all of the raw thumbnails/preview files are just black boxes.  I cannot see which RAW file I am selecting until after it loads the image from Photos. 

I’m running on a brand new iPad Pro 2018 with iOS 12.1.4. 

RAW files are imported from a Sony a7III camera. 

How do I resolve this issue?  Have already tried deleting and reinstalling the app. 

820D78B6-5813-4622-9812-A7714734844B.jpeg

• Staff

Hi Adam Meyer,

Welcome to the forums.

Are the RAW files stored locally on the iPad within Photos? Have you tried moving one to a cloud service such as iCloud or Dropbox and then importing to see if the previews appear. Which setting do you have selected in the iPad Settings app, Photos & Camera section: Optimise iPad Storage or Download and Keep Originals? 

I have not yet tried the cloud option as I was hoping to avoid paying for additional cloud storage.  I purchased an iPad with a large storage capacity specifically to avoid the monthly fees but I will try this  

I have tried both the optimise setting and the download and keep originals settings. 

I moved three raw photos from Photos to my iCloud Drive and they still don’t show a raw preview.  Can’t even see a raw preview when I open the iCloud Drive folder.  See attached photo.  How do I get the ability to see my raw previews?   

FYI I can see the raw previews in Lightroom CC when I open that app and access my camera roll so I don’t think it’s an issue with the files. 

• 1 year later...

I am having the same problem, except I don’t have any RAW images in my iPad Pro itself. Ie there are no RAW files stored on either Files or Photos Apps. I am doing a full switch over from laptop to IPad Pro. I keep my photo libraries on external hard drives, I don’t use iCloud for many reasons. Where I currently am under lockdown, that isn’t even an option- no WiFi. 

But I have loaded over 100Gb of RAW images to Lightroom, does your solution imply that I have to purge my Lightroom catalogs and start from scratch? Because that simply isn’t an option. A LOT of hours have gone into selecting from over 7Tb of archives. 
I recently used an A7iii on a job and can’t preview the files. Again, not an option to load the entire batch- I wouldn’t have enough storage plus files app only lets me copy 50 images at a time to Lightroom and it’s quite time consuming. I only want to load the pictures I want to work on, directly from my external hard drive to Lightroom to avoid duplication in Files and Photos Apps.

I have tried different settings, turning iCloud Photos on and off, setting it to Download and Keep Originals, done a reset. My software is up to date...

Any help troubleshooting will be greatly appreciated!