You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Applying Equations on two layers

A useful addition to the Filter > Distort > Equations would be to have access to more than one layer. This would allow me to apply a function to the target layer based on what is in the second layer. It could be used for applying textures similar to  displacement map. Obviously t would depend on the function being able to utilize the value of a pixel in the secondary layer.

I see in a recent post that Affinity are working on a Macro Persona. I can'wait, but I won'hold my breath!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 3 months later...

+1, that would be an awesome addition.

AP doesn't seem to have the exact equivalent of displacement maps at present. The displacement filter seems to be more of a texturing thing rather than a mapped lightness direction to amount of shift in the x/y direction. Would be great to be able to pull values from a map (layer or image) for use in an equation. Maybe similar to the sources panel where you select a source and give it a variable name that could then be pulled into an equation? That way multiple maps could be used.

I've been doing a lot of experimenting with equations and they are very powerful, and I love the way you can record them and expose the controls in a macro, however when used directly the sliders are smooth and instant, but in a macro they seem to wait for you to release before reacting, which makes it much harder to get the correct adjustment. Also, when using distortion equations directly you can click on the canvas and it relocates the centre point, whereas when recorded in a macro this doesn't seem to work.