You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Show/set size of selection

Really? I took my screen shot while the mouse button was released (see my video) … but I think the information panel is still "work in progress", so to say … I guess these things will come in the future. But you are very right, that we need the option to enter numeric values for rectangle marquees. So +1 to your feature request.  :)

EDIT Deleted video due to upload limits.

• 2 months later...

Hi idlesysop,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

If you drag (move on canvas) the selection you just created does the Transform panel display the numbers again?

Hi MEB,

Yes, if I drag the selection it will show the dimensions in the transform panel.  I would hope I wouldn't have to drag the selection after I've selected to see the dimensions again though.

Is there any way to make it not go away like in "A_B_C"'s video example?

• 1 year later...

I justed bought Affinity Photo today. One of the first things I wanted to do is measure the size of a certain selection. The info panel doesn't show the width and height of my selection. I find this very annoying. Also the view > Studio > transform method doesn't shows the with and height instantly. I still need to move the selection and thats certainly not what I want to do every time.

Is there going to be a fix for this any time soon?

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to know if there's an easier way to do this as well. I'm using the trial for Mac, considering purchasing for both Windows & Mac, and this little issue is pretty annoying for me; I do web development, and one of the main things I use an editor like this for is measuring the distance between objects. The way this currently works is tedious. Would really appreciate a proper fix.

• 6 months later...

Wow... almost August 2017 and this issue (VERY basic functionality) is still a major problem. For anyone who's reading this post of mine, you have to: 1) make a marquee selection, 2) display the transform panel "Xfm" (sounds like a radio station), 3) drag the marquee around a little (you can't just click... you actually have to reposition the marquee), 4) and then you are able to enter numerical values for the size of the selection like you'd be able to do in Photoshop from the very instant you created a marquee selection.

As far as the Info panel is concerned... LOL. This useless panel simply doesn't give any info about your selection whatsoever. As is reported above, the values disappear the instant you release the mouse button, even if your marquee is still visible. Yet somehow, once out of every 20 times, the values do persist after releasing the mouse button. These issues have existed since April 2016 (when I bought the app), and continue today in version 1.5.2. Honestly I don't see how version 1.0 was released with this behavior, and why something so simple is still a problem over year later. 

Hello I am new to the site but have used Affinity for some time.  It is a really good programme but frustrating on a few things especially the sizing. I agree with the above post and would kindly ask that this is sorted or if you could tell us how to find it if it is there and we are missing it.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I'm shift-dragging from the upper left corner to catch position 0,0 and it seems the selection starts and ends anywhere there in space outside the loaded pic.

The selction doesn't snap to the edges of the loaded pic like PS. It seems impossible to select a perfect square on a 4:3 image... Or am I missing something..?

• 10 months later...

I'm a small business owner, with many small business owner friends who are always interested in cutting costs (for example replacing Adobe Master Suite subscription costs)...  Affinity Photo seems like a perfect fit as an alternative to PhotoShop.  However, it's smaller things like this (mentioned above), which take extra steps or are not available that would dissuade one (or one's small business) from making the switch; simply put, time is money.  The price is VERY competitive, and the licensing (not restricting machines as long as the same user) is hugely enticing.

I'm usually the one making the early move and will enjoy the cost savings with your exceptional products.  However, please know that others will expect these features (regardless of cost and less restrictive licensing).  I wish you well in this market and hope you stay affordable and keep license friendly practices as you grow (and add features).

Thank you.

-Jessy Houle

• 1 year later...

Hi there, just stumbled across this - Rect marque with hold shift to draw a square selection - the resultig selection on the canvas is a square shape but the numbers for x und y size in the info panel reflect different values.

The moment the mouse button is released to confirm the selected area remember the last x-size value -  photo does not display the size of the current selection, why? -  and do a "new from clipboard". Sometimes the new document size has the same size as the value in the info panel and sometimes not.

So it's hard to figure out at which size the current selection is...

-eric

• 2 months later...
On 7/11/2015 at 8:12 PM, MEB said:

Ok. Thanks. This is also not working on mine (running Yosemite).

For now, you can also check the size of the selection in the View ▹ Studio ▹ Transform panel. 

I will check this further and log it to be looked at if needed.

I am very surprised to see that the dimensions of a selection are not shown in the Info panel. I am referring to when you are using the Move tool (V), and click a layer to select it. When you do this, a bounding box with nodes appears around the layer, enabling you to scale it, etc.. But, the Info panel only displays dashes beside "W:" and "H:" (as if AP cannot interpret the object's size). This is confusing.

Since AP automatically displays a bounding box (which clearly would have a "Width" and "Height" assigned to it), its width and height should be shown in the Info panel. Having to reference a separate panel (i.e. Transform panel) slows down workflow. Please, let's get width and height displaying as expected in the Info panel.

Info Panel Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 3.27.14 PM.png

2 hours ago, photoshop1.0 said:

I am referring to when you are using the Move tool (V), and click a layer to select it. When you do this, a bounding box with nodes appears around the layer, enabling you to scale it, etc.. But, the Info panel only displays dashes beside "W:" and "H:" (as if AP cannot interpret the object's size). This is confusing.

The info panel will show the Width and Height of a pixel selection, the Transform Panel will show the Width and Height of a selected layer (the bounding box you mention being displayed) and you can change those values as well as just have them displayed.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

The info panel will show the Width and Height of a pixel selection, the Transform Panel will show the Width and Height of a selected layer (the bounding box you mention being displayed) and you can change those values as well as just have them displayed.

Understood.

However, not displaying Width and Height in an Info panel does not make sense. Especially considering that there are fields shown in the Info panel for both of those dimensions, with the fields (bizarrely) displaying dashes instead of the actual width and height of the selected layer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2020 at 3:02 PM, photoshop1.0 said:

Understood.

However, not displaying Width and Height in an Info panel does not make sense. Especially considering that there are fields shown in the Info panel for both of those dimensions, with the fields (bizarrely) displaying dashes instead of the actual width and height of the selected layer.

Absolutely!

Based on my experience, Info panel display weird and useless information in W and H fields, for example, negative values for width or height. It's more like a mouse cursor tracking panel than real info. I mean, how many times you find useful the angle?

Its content should be dynamic and context sensitive to be useful in my opinion, based on the active tool and the scene graph.

Here's what I found really frustrating many times: when I'm cropping an image using ratio constraint, I'd love to know the size of the cropped image, but neither Info nor Transform panel gives me any information about the expected size of the image after cropping.

The devil is in the details, and the small things can make or break an application, or make frustrated customers, at least. I really like Affinity tools but sometimes they can be very difficult to use or understand some design decisions.

Cheers,
Imre

• Staff

Hi ImreLovasz,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Thanks for your feedback and support. Regarding the Crop Tool the crop size is displayed in the context toolbar (with the Crop Tool selected) after the DPI field.

The dimensions of a pixel selection are shown while you draw the marquee in the Info panel and in the width/height fields in the Transform panel when there's a marquee selection tool active.

• 8 months later...

I guess this is still an issue in April of 2021. It's wild that Affinity does not address this issue. It's obvious they know the information in their programming. Is there really still no way to simply select an object on the screen and know it's pixel dimensions? One work around i often do is copy the object and paste as a new file then I get the canvas dimensions. This doesn't work if the object has live effects like drop shadow on it because the new document will include the dimensions of those effects. Another helpful option is to hold down the command key and move the mouse around over the item, this will sometimes show a layout indicator that will give the dimensions.

In my screenshot you can see nothing is displayed even though an object is selected.

Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 7.15.53 PM.png

4 hours ago, jmudglove said:

Is there really still no way to simply select an object on the screen and know it's pixel dimensions?

1. select it with the Move tool
  2. open the Transform panel

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2