You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello I used publisher to do a very simple job, to add numbering in a pre-designed invoice pdf so I can print them.

The imported pdf is saved from adobe illustrator with text as curves and it only have vectors in it. I import it as link and export it with "nothing to be rasterized" from publisher.

The new file is 50 pages of basically the same page with page numbering, black vectors only (opened in designer and illustrator to make sure) but the file size is close to 10mb while a similar pdf saved from indesign is like 200-300kb (which make sense given the vector nature of the contents).

What is going on here? Is it possible to reduce the file size? I know we are in an age that 10mb is not a big deal but I tend to keep my file in the cloud and my space there is limited.

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

Why do you convert the text into curves? Leave it as text. Is an ICC profile embedded? If yes, do you need it?

But you are right. Importing PDF into Publisher increased the size of the PDF. In the process of importing the PDF a few lines will be added of course. I made my own few tests. Settings kept identical as possible.

50-pages-PDF from Indesign = 37.959 Bytes

Imported PDF and exported from Publisher = 251.981 bytes

50 pages from scratch in Publisher and exported = 168.013 bytes

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I had an issue of a huge PDF in another thread which I shall try to find.

I found that by having the purpose of the PDF as for the web rather than for print got the size down a lot.

Whether that is significant in this case I do not know but I thought that I wound mention it in case this helps.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

20 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Why do you convert the text into curves? Leave it as text. Is an ICC profile embedded? If yes, do you need it?

But you are right. Importing PDF into Publisher increased the size of the PDF. In the process of importing the PDF a few lines will be added of course. I made my own few tests. Settings kept identical as possible.

50-pages-PDF from Indesign = 37.959 Bytes

Imported PDF and exported from Publisher = 251.981 bytes

50 pages from scratch in Publisher and exported = 168.013 bytes

I got problems with the text not showing correctly in publisher and then having the same problem in the exported pdf. It is Greek text so maybe because of this but anyway, it didn't work so I had no other way.

Maybe I will remake those pdfs in publisher, after all it have more design options than indesign and it will be easier. (indesign not having many design options was the reason I started making them in illustrator in the first place).

19 hours ago, William Overington said:

Thanks I will have a look

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10