You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A special award to build 1.7.0.258

I'm really sorry to say that, but build 258 deserves the special Serif award "buggiest of them all" (on top of an already enormous list of old bugs). Some of the newest bugs -- difficulties with snapping, unwanted duplicate objects + undo problems, new performance bottlenecks -- seem to be related to undocumented changes. Something needs to be restored to the way it was before. I'm starting to regret using the beta, but since version 1.6 does not open any 1.7 files, now I'm stuck. I'm starting to get a bit tired of all these problems. Some of them seem simple enough to address but were never solved, and after all these years I feel they never will because we never get objective answers about what's going on. Everything is a big surprise. Is it just me, or anyone else feels this way?

Sorry again, couldn't help it this time.

When it comes to snapping, I've just discovered that snapping objects and slides works if we create a new project in 1.7.0.258. But it will not work if in 1.7.0.258 we open a file created in earlier versions of Beta.
That's why today I was so tired when making changes to the file with the leaflet made a month ago.

I have repeatedly suggested what should be changed or added to Affinity so that the program meets the basic tasks for smooth and trouble-free work before adding thousands of new products.
If now, at the beginning of the creation of this program, it will not be added, I do not think it has ever been added.
Yesterday I read somewhere on the forum post from 2016 that Serif reads all the suggestions and requests but enter but they can not enter it because it has its own guidelines. So I'll probably look at this forum again in about 3 years. Maybe something will change in this matter.
I run an advertising company and use Affinity programs to work throughout the day. it is not a fun program after dinner for relaxation or painting in the evening. I need a stable program. I have been working on CorelDraw on all its versions for 26 years. Now the new CorelDraw 2019 has been released. It is much, much more expensive than Affinity. I would like to pay the money to Serif very much, but the pace of development is so slow that I would have to close the company to see the full version of 1.7 then 1.8, maybe even 1.9 to 2.0. At this rate, maybe in three years. Yes I know, CorelDraw is 30 years old and Affinity 5 years, but from five it is still 1.0 version ...

From every single beta announcement post:

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

Yeah, I know that. My mistake. I shouldn't be using the beta for production. I tested AD 1.7 quite a few times before deciding to go this route, I needed isometrics for some infographics and I thought the beta was stable. I was wrong and now I regret it. I'm going back to 1.6 for new projects now.

About betas, they are meant to be more stable with each release, not the other way round. Also, good software development practices dictates that beta testing must be done internally by a specially dedicated team so major bugs will not be released to users. If found, these should be quickly corrected with top priority. Also, big changes (even internal ones) should always be clearly documented. And so on.

I use the beta for some of my work. I don't have many creative projects going atm. Realistically, it's the only way I can properly "test" the software and give authentic feedback. Otherwise I open it, move some objects around in my curiosity, close it again and go back to the production version. Photo I can more realistically test because I can just use it for processing TIFFs.

I noticed some performance problems in both production/beta version. I think it's related to New Views, but honestly, I'm not sure if I can blame Affinity or my machine at this point. You would think I have enough hardware... one would think. It just seems to slow down as I work. The snapping in particularly, especially interacting with the grid system, seems to be slowest.

Sometimes it's fine, so for me it's difficult to document where the trouble is and narrow it down to hardware or software-related.

I was using production for a project I've started, but I moved to beta because it seemed more stable performance-wise on my machine. I was really having problems with snapping and moving objects on the screen was just too slow for me to work. I don't want to go back to Illustrator as I'm really enjoying Designer's options.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.