You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Import image to use as bullet

Is there a way to import an image to use as a bullet?

I'm trying to use Publisher to make a restaurant menu where we use custom icons for vegan, gluten-free, etc. items. Having the icons as bullets makes it easier to make wholesale changes when the icons are changed.

I'm looking forward to use Publisher with both Photo and Designer.

It looks like you can only use a font to create the bullet symbol, not a custom icon.  At least, I don't see any way that you can choose an icon for the bullet.  As an alternative, you could layout the menu using a table and position the icon in a cell.   Then using the Assets studio panel, have all of your icons as assets and just drag and drop them into the correct cell.  

Depending on how your icons are drawn, you could convert them to font glyphs and use the resultant font for the bullet points.
See the attached GIF which shows both bullet points and in-line graphics being used. (The rating labels and stars were created in Designer very quickly.)
It's a bit of a tricky process to get this right and there are quite a few steps but I've used it myself a few times.

symbol-bullets.gif

• 3 months later...

G'day,

I did it manually.

Imported the picture/icon into Pages (Mac) 

Used instant alpha to make white transparent (obviously this step could be done with Affinity Photo, but I was in a hurry)

Copied the image

Pasted inline with text

Altered the size of the image to fit

Copied and pasted it before teach item in the list.

Clumsy, I know, but it word. I tried copying and pasting from pages which can use pix as bullets, but no luck.

Regards

Rod

• 1 year later...

It works perfectly as a font where the bullet (or any other glyph) is set up to work in a bullet list. 
I've done this custom bullet for a client recently.

I'm a type designer which is very helpful. ;-)

If you're interesting in having me make a custom icon font for you, feel free to contact me for options and pricing:
https://www.characters.nl/contact/

Cheers, René

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2019 at 3:11 AM, GarryP said:

Depending on how your icons are drawn, you could convert them to font glyphs and use the resultant font for the bullet points.
See the attached GIF which shows both bullet points and in-line graphics being used. (The rating labels and stars were created in Designer very quickly.)
It's a bit of a tricky process to get this right and there are quite a few steps but I've used it myself a few times.

symbol-bullets.gif

How do you convert to font glyphs?

....I'm brand new to Affinity (like, downloaded today) and am trying to do the same thing with pretty basic icons (one-color; many are simple line drawings, but also social media icons). Based on what I've seen in similar questions/tutorials, I need to convert the icon to curves and then use an app like Glyphs3, but the "convert to curves" option isn't available when I select the icon .png that I'm trying to convert. I even tried removing the background (and a bunch of other not-successful ideas). No joy.

Help? 

Welcome to the forums @locolo

You can’t convert icons to font glyphs within the Affinity applications; you need to use something else to do that.
I use IcoMoon https://icomoon.io/ – because it’s free and easy to use for my very basic needs – but there will be other software/services available.

You cannot convert a raster (pixel) image – e.g. JPG, PNG, etc. – to curves in any Affinity application. It has been requested many times but, at the time of writing at least, it is not yet available.
You can find many suggestions for raster tracing applications/services in this site and, more generally, on the web so a quick search should get you a few ideas.

• 2 years later...