You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bold Text in Affinity Photo

How do I set text to bold (or italic) if the font doesn't have those styles? I'm trying to match some text created in Photoshop, but in AF the bold and italics options are not available unless the font supports them. Can I only apply styles are that available for a particular font?

You could sheer the text using the bounding box and add an outer stroke to make the text bolder.

You will likely have to adjust the text layers blend options to hide the text antialiasing see image for settings below.

Screen-Shot-2019-03-18-at-06-58-07.png

This is how the text will look with an outer stroke applied without the blend options edited
Screen-Shot-2019-03-18-at-07-00-35.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Because that would be way too easy but I think he'll get the gist.:D

I also wanted to show what would happen on an outer stroke so he'd know how to correct it. Honest :ph34r:

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

12 hours ago, firstdefence said:

You could sheer the text using the bounding box and add an outer stroke to make the text bolder.

You will likely have to adjust the text layers blend options to hide the text antialiasing see image for settings below.

This is how the text will look with an outer stroke applied without the blend options edited

Thanks.  It wasn't obvious how to get the Stroke panel to show up with the text selected, but I got it working. The results are pretty similar to the bold text I'm trying to match.

• 4 years later...

How do you get to the outer edge of the text to not blur when you set the blend options? I notice when I set my blend options like you did that the outer edge becomes pixelated.