Sign in to follow this  
Sheila Finch

Can I save tiff files in 32 bit?

I just started using Affinity Photo, and I noticed that my painting panorama tiff files are half the size of the same Photoshop tiff files.  I think Photoshop is saving as 32 bit and Affinity is saving as 16 bit.  (Would this even matter for print publishing?)  I always submit to my publisher 300 dpi "at size" of the original painting. If it is important, is there a way to save as 32 bit? Thanks so much for any help I can get on this issue!

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forum!

Unless you started with a 32-bit image I doubt that exporting it as 32-bit would have any advantage. But if you want to try, File > Export, select TIFF, click on More..., and choose Pixel Format RGB 32-bit (HDR).

Another possibility to explain the file size difference: Affinity always uses a lossless compression method when saving TIFF files. Perhaps you have PS saving them uncompressed?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

Thank you for your help!  Yes, I do save Photoshop images uncompressed as I was under the impression this is the best way to save my images, but perhaps I've been misinformed.

Some forms of compression (for example, the one used for JPEG files) loses information. The one typically used for TIFF files does not lose any information and is therefore safe.

However, some applications don't support compressed TIFF files, or only support certain forms of compression. 

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.7.3.475 Beta