You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

One nice feature that I could really use when digitally painting in AP would be a way of recording the development

of the painting as I went through the process of creating it , from start to finish. This would  greatly simplify the making

of  Youtube videos  on  how I create  digital paintings in AP.

I know that Procreate has a built in time lapse recorder that seems to record every 20th or so stroke

and comes up with a very nice yet abbreviated video of the creative process.  

This is probably the main reason one sees more videos featuring art created in Procreate than AP.

I know there are other  video recording options, like Quicktime etc. but these options record the entire process and produce

huge video files and a large amount of time is needed  to edit these movies.  

Procreate's time lapse recorder makes it simple and as I have stated, it does not record every stroke but does

some kind of averaging.... by recording every 20th stroke or something like that. 

Thanks for considering this idea.

Look into the Snapshot feature, put a shortcut on it and you are half way there.

Post Script: I have seen some of the Procreate videos and I am sorry that I have seen them. The video recording is a solution in search of a problem. Just my 2 ¢ worth.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Totally Brilliant Solution Old Bruce... thanks .....that solves  the problem of dealing with a massive amount of video that needs to be edited....... I can just pick and choose what I want captured and then string all the images together in my video editor ,, and wall-a   I have a video....And I can change it up ,, as the screen capture only captures the image and not the UI... if I want, I can command shift 4 + space bar to give me a capture of the whole UI..... brilliant .

I have run up against the limitations of Procreate's video recorder.. if you choose a low resolution then the video is poor and if you choose 4 K video , the video might be so large after you finish the painting , that you cannot open it... happened to me.....  so again Thanks Old Bruce.!

Thanks  v_kyr for your suggestions.

My  experience to date has been running Camtasia 2 on my old Mac workstation.. and  with no apparent time lapse feature.. needless to say

drowning in oceans of  GB's of unedited video  is not a fun experience.

I did find two Mac products that offer time lapse at a reasonable price point. ~ $24- $35 USD

ishowU and Screenflicks , both offer a way of setting the frame rate down to very low numbers... 3FPS or even 1FPM (minute)... from the standard 30 FPS

This could work for me.

But giving the snapshot feature within AP more thought and the advantages, as I see it, are 

• You control what stage of the image is saved as a snapshot.
  • you control when a stage of the image is saved.
  • Snapshot doesn't record  the zooming nor the rotation functions so the  image can be kept  to perpendicular - which enhances the video presentation.
  • (watching a tutorial that has a lot of zooming and rotation can be uncomfortable )
  • you can  leave AP at anytime  without the concern of remembering to turn off/pause the recording video
  • there is no nagging feeling that a recording software in turned on and is recording your mistakes/pauses  ( unless you want your mistakes to show)

So how to deal with a large library/history of snapshots?

Exporting each snapshot as a new file is one option but not practical if you have 200+ snapshots of your image.

Since I can spend upwards of 40+hrs on  painting an image and need an alternative from exporting each single snapshot.

This solution came to me last night when I should have been sleeping.

Say it takes me 40 hrs to complete an image and  I have 200 snapshots stored in the snapshot panel as a result.

So working backwards, first determine the length of the video you are shooting for...say 10 minutes.

• 10 minutes = 600 secs
  •  600 secs /200 snapshots = 3 seconds per snapshot.

I  would simply run Quicktime -screen capture , determine the  screen area I want to capture , ie., the  whole image only /or with UI and with the snapshot panel off camera,  I would click through the history of the snapshots starting from the very first one, pausing 3 seconds before selecting the second snapshot and so on until the entire library /history of snapshots have been enabled and recorded.  Now  there you have it, a video 10 minutes in length showing the complete development of the newly painted image.   Obviously, this "formula" can be modified.

Then I would take this raw video footage into a video editing software to add titles, slow down or speed up specific areas of the movie , add special effects etc.

I think this method is clean and simple and prevents drowning in GB's of raw video footage.

Your thoughts are appreciated .

UPDATE.

So I " recorded" a test painting  with the method fo making snap shots of the process as it developed, then made a QT recording 

of the event by enabling the snap shots in sequence . It did produce a somewhat artificial looking time lapse effect but nothing near 

the time lapse effect that I am looking for. 

I have downloaded and   played with iShowU software and this is just what I am looking for. Produces really great Time lapse QT or MP4 movies.

There are also apps like Hustl for the Mac, which is easy to use and does all automatically.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thanks  v_kyr for your info. Looks like my version of Camtasia is so old that it doesn’t have those kind of input capture settings.

thanks for your  recommendation about hustl.

I have started using IShowU and am very happy with it’s robustness and functionality.

Are programmers the only ones to use underscores in their name/alias ?

15 hours ago, Gregory-CJ said:

I have started using IShowU and am very happy with it’s robustness and functionality.

Ah Ok if it does what you need that's fine.

15 hours ago, Gregory-CJ said:

Are programmers the only ones to use underscores in their name/alias ?

Hmm hard to tell, I don't know and thus can't speak for others here, but programmers are more used to it, due to variable naming conventions and the like in several prog languages.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Thanks  OlaHaldor for your offering, I will check it out.    I have noticed that  iShowU software (just started using it)  generates over saturated color movies through all the possible export settings  , not what I want.

I can make color corrections in iMovie.. but just extra work and time. 

Just ran OBS and it has an upper limit size of 2560 x1440 to capture the base canvas Monitor size... Regrettably,  this doesn't work for a 5 K iMAC as the image is  severely  truncated.

Got word back from iShowU tech support and I just needed to disable “ colour correction” in the preferences to eliminate the problem of over saturation. It worked!

Th color on the video generated through iShowU is even better than the image that I am painting.  iShowU now works like a charm.

Edited by Gregory-CJ
added more info

Personally I don't use that OBS software at all, there are a bunch of screen capture and video recording/editing tools for such purposes. I mostly use Snagit, ActivePresenter and Monosnap for such tasks.

Got word back from iShowU tech support and I just needed to disable “ colour correction” in the preferences to eliminate the problem of over saturation. It worked!

Th color on the video generated through iShowU is even better than the image that I am painting.  iShowU now works like a charm.

12 hours ago, Gregory-CJ said:

The color on the video generated through iShowU is even better than the image that I am painting.

So now you can just get a screen grab from the end of the video to send to the client.... Wait, I think I am missing something obvious, like coffee.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 months later...