You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer - Exporting/slicing/ speed up work - and few feature request

Hi!

I am new at affinity software (Affinity designer 1.6.5), right now i am trying to use only affinity software (forcing myself to learn as much possible) . I have a few questions about designer. Is it possible by any way to change from yellow shape to slice shape (pink) under export persona (we print big poster over 6m long and also transferring on windows so sometimes we create gaps that picture look more natural). I don't see that option or anything similar for easy change of slices. My type of work now is that I create rectangles than convert to slices, after that I manually create slices with help of snap points, I don't see faster way in the time (watch video).

2) Next on my list of question is. Rectangles to artboards, right know we can change/convert only one at time, I am sure that this can be quick fix :D. Than we can export also faster files when need to have tiles or similar stuff.

3) Is it possible to create some sort of rectangle grid, if someone use Indesign you know that is possible to create rectangle grid in seconds, with arrows also with gaps.

4) CTRL + J Give me option after one move to duplicate next one, but maybe is not bad idea for some window with some of options, scale, move...

5) Bleed can be set up, but I can't see it around canvas, Right know I create a rectangle with stroke, does this coming also in some new update...

6) Select similar, is this option hidden somewhere, can't find anything about it

I know that my questions can also be in the Feature Requests section.

TIA
Boris

ED: Is it possible to change units under export persona from px to mm, inside slice box.

Edited by borism25

2 hours ago, borism25 said:

I am new at affinity software (Affinity designer 1.6.5), right now i am trying to use only affinity software (forcing myself to learn as much possible) . I have a few questions about designer. Is it possible by any way to change from yellow shape to slice shape (pink) under export persona (we print big poster over 6m long and also transferring on windows so sometimes we create gaps that picture look more natural). I don't see that option or anything similar for easy change of slices. My type of work now is that I create rectangles than convert to slices, after that I manually create slices with help of snap points, I don't see faster way in the time (watch video).

There in no way to swap between The "Slice from item" (Yellow Icon in the slices panel) and Slice (a slice created using the slice tool in the export persona.) (Pink icon in the slices panel
https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/ExportPersona/slicesPanel.html

2) Next on my list of question is. Rectangles to artboards, right know we can change/convert only one at time, I am sure that this can be quick fix :D. Than we can export also faster files when need to have tiles or similar stuff.

It would be nice to select multiple rectangles and have each one assigned as an artboard, a better idea might be to have an Artboard manager with additional features and settings.

3) Is it possible to create some sort of rectangle grid, if someone use Indesign you know that is possible to create rectangle grid in seconds, with arrows also with gaps.

You can use power duplicate to create a line of rectangles and then power duplicate the line downwards to create a grid but as of yet no feature exists where you can specify rows and columns and gutter spaces in Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer. There are options in Publisher Beta but they are related to tables.

4) CTRL + J Give me option after one move to duplicate next one, but maybe is not bad idea for some window with some of options, scale, move...

+1 for this, its a good idea and saves the fumbling we have to do at the moment.

5) Bleed can be set up, but I can't see it around canvas, Right know I create a rectangle with stroke, does this coming also in some new update...

Bleeds can be set upon document creation now and the bleeds can be seen in the 1.7 beta releases

6) Select similar, is this option hidden somewhere, can't find anything about it

As far as I am aware, this feature does not exist in any of the affinity apps yet.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

There in no way to swap between The "Slice from item" (Yellow Icon in the slices panel) and Slice (a slice created using the slice tool in the export persona.) (Pink icon in the slices panel
https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/ExportPersona/slicesPanel.html

Yep, I have been read everything about slice inside the manual. But i think that if we can create from one click "create slice" developer can create just simple chechboxes, if we want to export  different option with slice (yellow / Pink). I think this is pretty straight forward for the developers.

It would be nice to select multiple rectangles and have each one assigned as an artboard, a better idea might be to have an Artboard manager with additional features and settings.

looking forward to any progress in this field

You can use power duplicate to create a line of rectangles and then power duplicate the line downwards to create a grid but as of yet no feature exists where you can specify rows and columns and gutter spaces in Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer. There are options in Publisher Beta but they are related to tables.

Thnx for the info, didn't now that it's name for this "power duplicate" but i use that

Bleeds can be set upon document creation now and the bleeds can be seen in the 1.7 beta releases

Nice :) What is the release date for the 1.7

Also just one tip, a lot of time we need to export stuff to different DPI, it would be great so that we can apply DPI to all slices through "selection  tab/window"

Edited by borism25