You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Top and Bottom Cropped on Text box

I think this may be a bug.  I created a heart using a shape.   Made a smaller one and centered the two together.  Subtracted the smaller heart to make a "hole".  I then converted it to a text frame and added some text.  Looked great on the screen.  Selected all and exported.   Both the top and bottom of the heart are cut off.  Another person in my forum had the same results. I'm attaching my results.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong?heart.png.5a1204cd48e4a3728804be6e9a60c369.png

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Designer 1.6.4.104
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

I am using the lastest beta - 1.7.0.258   -  Can't say if it was this way in the prior beta because I didn't try it. The other person that has this same problem is also using the latest version.

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

Might help if you could post a sample .afdesign file.

(By the way, the non-beta releases you list in your Signature info are quite old. Unless you've simply forgotten to update that info for the forums, you might want to upgrade to 1.6.5.135.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If I click on the object, then export to JPG or PDF (selection with background or selection without background) - then I do get what you get. Other smart shapes give the same problem - I think it's nothing to do with joining objects. The problem seems to be that when you convert a smart shape to a text frame it keeps the existing fill and stroke. In the release version If I use the release version of Designer (1.6.5.123) the fill and stroke are removed when converting to a text frame so the problem doesn't arise. In the beta version 258 when you select the object for exporting it only includes the frame that is within the vertical constraints of the text. When you select the object it should select the whole object including all the text and all the frame. I do think it is a bug. The only workaround I can see for the present is to duplicate the container before converting to  a text frame and export both of them.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

Thanks, Sean.  I love this feature.  It's something I use a lot in PagePlus for a newsletter that I do. Glad to see it being added to my favorite graphic program! 

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.