Glyphs

[Fixed] Table of Contents Links

I am trying to create a table of contents in the newest version of Publisher, and it seems the links are all jumbled when exported to PDF. Everything is correct in Publisher before the exportation, but the links aren't right in the final PDF. Is this a known bug?

Also: when I click a link in the exported PDF in Apple Preview, the file becomes automatically unsaved. Is this a bug too, or is there some option to set in Publisher before exporting the file?

Hi @Glyphs,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I could not reproduce this in the latest build.

Can you please check it again and confirm if it's still an issue?

Thanks,

Gabe.

Still an issue. It's more visible in Acrobat Reader actually. When I click a link in the exported PDF file, two lines of the TOC are selected at once. When I click the first line, line 1 and 2 are selected, and I am taken to the right entry. When I click the second line, line 2 and 3 are selected, and I am taken to the third entry instead of the second one, and so on, until I click the last line. When I click the last line, the right entry is selected. 

In Apple Preview, the PDF file sometime becomes unsaved, but I haven't been able to isolate when it happens. It seems one of the links sometime becomes a text field after a few clicks. When you click the text field, it acts as a link, but the PDF file is then in an unsaved state. I haven't seen this yet in Acrobat Reader.

Here is a Chapters-only version of the first book I created with Publisher (you can find it here, by the way:). When I created the update to the book with ToC links, I had to add the ToC links by hand to each entry for the links to work. 

In the TOC Template Publisher file, I deleted all the text save the Chapter titles, and the ToC. I manually added links to each Chapter title, which all lead to the ToC, to simplify navigation in the book (Is it possible to make this an option at the creation of ToC in a next version of Publisher, by the way?) Each time the ToC is generated or updated, each entry appears in the links palette under the name (1), which might be a page number, since all the ToC entries automatically lead to page 1. In the First Try file, I only added the ToC, and didn't' do anything manually. You can see every link leads to page 1. In the Second Try file, I tried to guess to which entry each (1) was associated, which wasn't easy because for my 8 entries, 10 (1) links were generated each time. I don't know what the other two (1) links are. Then, I manually entered the right page number for each entry. As you can see in the Publisher file, after I added the links by hand, everything worked. But now, when I export the file, I have the problem I described above in this post. Only the first and last links actually lead to the right page in the PDF file, and clicking a link sometime makes the PDF file enter its unsaved state in Preview.

TOC Template.afpub

TOC Template - First Try.pdf

TOC Template - Second Try.pdf

I deleted all the (1) entries and exported it and it works as expected. Not sure why you have a doubling of links. I shall experiment more.

hlinks.jpeg

TOC Template 2-2.pdf

TOC Template 2.afpub

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.3 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.x.x | Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.x.x | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.x.x

Every entry with a title like "Chapitre 3" have been created and named by me. These links are for the chapter titles, and they all lead to the ToC page. The automatically generated ToC entries are all named (1).

We have now resolved this issue. However, you would need to "fix" your file as the fix can prevent the files to become like that, but cannot fix them. To do this all you need to do is to click somewhere in a text frame (not within a hyperlinked piece of text) and toggle an attribute such as bold. If you now regenerate their table of contents all should be well.

Hi

On 7/25/2019 at 12:38 PM, GabrielM said:

We have now resolved this issue. However, you would need to "fix" your file as the fix can prevent the files to become like that, but cannot fix them. To do this all you need to do is to click somewhere in a text frame (not within a hyperlinked piece of text) and toggle an attribute such as bold. If you now regenerate their table of contents all should be well.

Hi, I have updated my version of Affinity Publisher today, and tried what you wrote, but it doesn't seem to work. When I update or regenerate the TOC, the page numbers are right, but all the TOC links lead to page 1, and I still have to add the links by hand for each entry. Should the problem be corrected in version 1.7.2 or in a future version?

On 8/16/2019 at 10:12 PM, Glyphs said:

Hi

Hi, I have updated my version of Affinity Publisher today, and tried what you wrote, but it doesn't seem to work. When I update or regenerate the TOC, the page numbers are right, but all the TOC links lead to page 1, and I still have to add the links by hand for each entry. Should the problem be corrected in version 1.7.2 or in a future version?

I can't replicate this. Mine works fine... Can you attach a screen recording of your workflow? 

I redownloaded the file TOC Template.afpub (above in the thread), deleted the links in the links palette, then regenerated the TOC after clicking "Include all entries before the TOC", and "TOC Chapter" in Style Name. No link has been created automatically. The links palette is still empty. Do you have the same result?

Ah, yes, actually when I sent you the file, I was the one who created by hand all the links with a name, as a way to get around the bug. I even created links in the Chapter titles to return to the TOC when clicked (and I think it should be an option in Publisher. It makes navigating faster).

Now, as I understand it, generating or updating a TOC should automatically create links in the Links panel, with all the TOC entries leading to their corresponding chapters. These links should link to page numbers and be titled (1), (7), etc. Now, if I delete all the links, then regenerate or update the TOC, it seems no link is generated at all. Is there something else to do to generate the links?

58 minutes ago, Glyphs said:

Is there something else to do to generate the links?

The TOC hyperlinks are automatically generated but do not show in the Hyperlinks panel. 

Yes, I exported the file to PDF and it does work. Problem solved then, but I think all items with hyperlinks should appear in the hyperlinks panel, even greyed out. Being able to vizualise the TOC hyperlinks in the hyperlinks panel would have spared me some work:) Any chance to have this option in a future version?