You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.7.0.112 flashing effect

When making adjustments like painting on a levels layer, some ares of the document vibrate or change intensity in a subtle flashing effect.

This happens even when hovering a brush over  the document.

website

Mac mini (2018)  3.2 GHz Intel Core i7  64 GB • Radeon Pro 580 8 GB • macOS Monterey

• Staff

Hey TomM1,

Does this still happen if you turn off 'Show Brush Previews' from Preferences > User Interface?

If it does still happen, could you please do a quick screen recording so I can see what you are seeing?

Do you have Metal computer enabled from Preferences > Performance? 

Turning off Show Brush Previews eliminates the effect on hover but it is still there when actually painting.

The flashing effect is less noticeable at 100%.

Metal is enabled.

This screen recording shows the hovering effect:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5xydipl9ly97wvg/Flashing.mov.zip?dl=0

website

Mac mini (2018)  3.2 GHz Intel Core i7  64 GB • Radeon Pro 580 8 GB • macOS Monterey

• Staff

Hey TomM1,

Thanks for the video, it was really helpful.

Anyway, what you are seeing are the rendering tiles reacting to a mouse-over. I can't see your Layers Panel however this usually occurs if you have a number of Live Filters or Adjustments in the document. 

It might seem a bit strange however this is by design as it's just the way the rendering tiles work.

If this is by design, something is very wrong.

I have seen the rendering tiles effect, for example, zooming in and out, especially on large files.

But it stops  after the image is rendered. It's not supposed to be a continuous effect while you are working.

Again, this is while painting not just mouse over.

The image should not  flash and change while you are trying to perform simple painting strokes.

No software of this type does this.

Since this issue does not occur on an identical copy in 1.6.7, I will still assume this is a bug or 1.7 will be a step backward.

website

• Staff
22 minutes ago, TomM1 said:

Since this issue does not occur on an identical copy in 1.6.7, I will still assume this is a bug or 1.7 will be a step backward.

Do you have the copy from 1.6 that I can look at? I obviously cannot open a file made in the beta in 1.6 so I wasn't able to check if this was a regression. 

7 hours ago, Chris B said:

I've made you a private Dropbox folder :) 

The 1.6 file actually has more layers than the beta file, because I started to get a bit nervous about continuing this project in beta.

Otherwise they are the same.

I have uploaded both files.

website

• Staff

Hey TomM1,

Thanks for uploading the files.

By the look of things, we're doing a quick low-render than performing a high-render straight after. This is causing the flickering.

I'm not sure why this doesn't happen in 1.6 but I imagine we're just rendering the screen differently (likely for performance reasons).

Turning off Brush Previews stops this from happening but this might impair you if you need to see the brush preview...

• Staff

I forgot to mention that if you go to Preferences > Performance and change Retina Rendering to High quality (Slowest) this will also stop the flickering, however you might notice panning and zooming and the general responsiveness of the document may be affected.

I actually prefer brush preview off.

But the good news is that changing Retina Rendering to High quality ( was set to Automatic by default) fixed the issue in 1.7 and improved 1.6.

I don't see any issue with panning and zooming. Rendering after zooming is almost instantaneous in 1.7. 

600 mb file

Thanks.

website

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.