You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

performance relating document setup

Hello
I am working on a fairly old machine / macbook 2008, which is still within the system requirements for publisher and wanted to share my experience as well have a question.

I have an existing 16 page afpub file with jpgs and pdfs, which I created with the build before 257. Although it was not the fastest experience, I could work with it.
Since this build 257 i have issues with the performance to the point, where I have to say it is not possible to work with. And I wonder where the problem is.
The file takes 5 to 10 minutes to open. When opened the frames are still loading and each step takes a fair amount of time.

I then changed the dpi settings in "document setup" from 300 to 10. This speeded thing up again. Since I export mostly as pdf and can change the dpi for print, this doesn't matter to me. But I am still confused.

- Can someone explain the correlation of changing dpi influencing my performance?

I know I can't expect much on my system, but I think requirements should be higher, if this issue is system related.

my macbook:
macOS Mojave 10.14.3
macbook late 2008
2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
8GB Memory

Primary: Windows 10 Pro 1903 / Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz / 32 GB RAM/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
Secondary: os x mojave / imac 2017
A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

On 3/17/2019 at 10:51 AM, ivbera said:

macOS Mojave 10.14.3
macbook late 2008
2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
8GB Memory

Hi, are you sure your Mac is compatible with OS Mojave? I can' t install Mojave on my 2010 iMac, and your machine is two years older. Apple lists the following computers as compatible: (see secreenshot)
Could that be the reason that your computer reacts so slowly with Publisher? I'm just curious.

Cheers, Puck

Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-18 um 17.15.13.png

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

Yes, I forgot that i used a patch to install it. I will try again with the supporting os x.

But I still wonder if there is any connection regarding the dpi settings. Does this affect the preview images somehow?

Primary: Windows 10 Pro 1903 / Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz / 32 GB RAM/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

18 minutes ago, ivbera said:

Yes, I forgot that i used a patch to install it. I will try again with the supporting os x.

But I still wonder if there is any connection regarding the dpi settings. Does this affect the preview images somehow?

I tried using that patch to allow Mojave to be installed on my older version machine and it took the performance through the floor.  I ended up having to reinstall the OS to clean it up.  I'm running the afpub beta on my laptop that has High Sierra and I get really good performance from the application.

12 hours ago, ivbera said:

I don't know, to be honest. I tried to reproduce that with a 28 page document, and Publisher crashed :)

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

Alright I installed El Capitan again. Publisher is indeed "faster", but loading the document still requires a lot of time and the loading time for images is still heavy.

Also the dpi change thing, like described, is still present. Still no idea, if this is intentional.

In conclusion, I guess, I need a better notebook.

A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

Thanks for the answer, i originally posted it to discussion, but it got transferred.

Is changing the dpi the only way to influence the displayed media in terms of display quality? I dont need full dpi settings, when placing images, but i like to turn it higher for aligning vectorgraphics precisely in example. 

I wish there would be something like a draft-mode.

A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

There are performance related options in Preferences that you can change or disable that may speed things up a little for you at the expense of on screen quality.

But as I do not have a Mac my settings may be different to yours so someone with a Mac may be able to advise which settings to change/disable for maximum performance

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.