You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[MISSING FEATURE] Flip Vertical/Horizontal Icon Affinity Photo

And Rotate. 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, angelhdz12 said:

Flip Vertical/Horizontal.

Alternatively, the flip can be made by resizing the object - dragging the left/top side behind the right/bottom side.

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Apart from them being very handy, these icons are available in the other two apps, so it would be good to have them in Photo if only for the sake of consistency across the apps.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

• 1 year later...

There are two different sets of "Flip Horizontal" and "Flip Vertical" commands in Affinity Photo:

• The ones in the Document menu flip the entire document
  • The ones in the Arrange menu flip a selected layer/object

The toolbar icons in the Designer and Publisher apps correspond to the commands which are in the Arrange menu on Photo - they flip a selected layer.

I suspect @angelhdz12 is requesting toolbar icons corresponding to the commands in the Document menu.  If this is the case, they would be different commands from the ones offered on the toolbar of Designer and Publisher.  It is possible that Serif may have left these out intentionally to avoid confusion as they would appear to be the same icons as are offered in the other apps but would behave differently?

Someone looking at them in Photo if the behavior from Designer/Publisher is applied might expect them to flip the document but wonder why they are disabled unless something is selected (and then only flip the selected layer/object...) while someone accustomed to using the icons in Designer or Publisher might use them to try to flip a layer and be surprised when the entire document gets flipped (if the other behavior is used)...

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2020 at 8:59 AM, fde101 said:

There are two different sets of "Flip Horizontal" and "Flip Vertical" commands in Affinity Photo:

• The ones in the Document menu flip the entire document
  • The ones in the Arrange menu flip a selected layer/object

The toolbar icons in the Designer and Publisher apps correspond to the commands which are in the Arrange menu on Photo - they flip a selected layer.

I suspect @angelhdz12 is requesting toolbar icons corresponding to the commands in the Document menu.  If this is the case, they would be different commands from the ones offered on the toolbar of Designer and Publisher.  It is possible that Serif may have left these out intentionally to avoid confusion as they would appear to be the same icons as are offered in the other apps but would behave differently?

Someone looking at them in Photo if the behavior from Designer/Publisher is applied might expect them to flip the document but wonder why they are disabled unless something is selected (and then only flip the selected layer/object...) while someone accustomed to using the icons in Designer or Publisher might use them to try to flip a layer and be surprised when the entire document gets flipped (if the other behavior is used)...

The Flip Horizontal/Vertical command is present in Affinity Photo already, in the arrange menu, so it makes not sense not having the icon in the toolbar.

38 minutes ago, angelhdz12 said:

The Flip Horizontal/Vertical command is present in Affinity Photo already, in the arrange menu, so it makes not sense not having the icon in the toolbar.

Go back and reread what I wrote, which you quoted.

Yes, it is in both the Arrange menu and the Document menu, but they are two different commands which do two different things.

If the Arrange menu items would be placed on the toolbar, this would match what Designer and Publisher do, but it is unlikely to match the expectations of users coming from other photo software.

If the Document menu items would be placed on the toolbar, this would create an inconsistency with Designer and Publisher.

I believe this has a very strong likelihood of introducing confusion for users and I suspect it is likely quite intentional that these buttons are not available on the toolbar in Photo.

3 hours ago, fde101 said:

very strong likelihood of introducing confusion for users

Since this is required as an optional part of the Toolbar, it is up to each user to use this option (or both) and be totally "confused" by them.

I personally see the charm of optional adaptation in this - the user is not forced to do what he does not need and does not use, but is allowed to use what he wants and needs. We thank Serif for respecting these wishes and needs of the users.

4 hours ago, fde101 said:

Go back and reread what I wrote, which you quoted.

Yes, it is in both the Arrange menu and the Document menu, but they are two different commands which do two different things.

If the Arrange menu items would be placed on the toolbar, this would match what Designer and Publisher do, but it is unlikely to match the expectations of users coming from other photo software.

If the Document menu items would be placed on the toolbar, this would create an inconsistency with Designer and Publisher.

I believe this has a very strong likelihood of introducing confusion for users and I suspect it is likely quite intentional that these buttons are not available on the toolbar in Photo.

Wow, calm down your arrogance dude.

Go back and reread what I wrote, which actually seems you didn't.

I'm not talking about the Document > Flip. That's for flipping the whole document/canvas. So that's irrelevant.

If you check my original image, I'm showing the Customized Toolbar. There's no Flip icon so I can "customize" my toolbar and add the Flip Horizontal/Vertical icon in my toolbar, and that's why this thread is called "Missing Feature".

It doesn't matter if there is an "inconsistency" between programs, the Customized Toolbar is there for a reason: So people can add their favorite icons there.

Flipping something, whether is pixel or a vector or not, is a logical, basic, expected feature in any program. And it's missing from the Affinity Photo Customize ToolBar window.

You didn't really contributed here. You just wanted to act like a know-it-all but you lack reading and comprehension skills.

Now get all triggered and get off on me, as is the trend nowadays. I'm waiting...

12 hours ago, angelhdz12 said:

Still missing in 1.8.3.641...🤦‍♂️

It was never missing just invisible.

But it does seem a bit strange that it is available in Publisher but not in Photo. I certainly use it lots more in Photo than I do in Publisher.

Anyway, provided you have also purchased a valid license for Designer or Publisher it's doable. (Don't ask how!)

Hopefully, they (Affinity) will add it to APhoto's Toolbar customisation options in a later update.

screen1.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

13 minutes ago, carl123 said:

It was never missing just invisible.

But it does seem a bit strange that it is available in Publisher but not in Photo. I certainly use it lots more in Photo than I do in Publisher.

Anyway, provided you have also purchased a valid license for Designer or Publisher it's doable. (Don't ask how!)

Hopefully, they (Affinity) will add it to APhoto's Toolbar customisation options in a later update.

screen1.png

Thank you!

Yes, I purchased the 3 programs.

Designer:
image.png.960904745734c6508289f5ed08d8fb35.png

Photo:

image.thumb.png.d885f3668fe608bdd907aaca041c6578.png

You gave me an idea. I will uninstall Photo and install it fresh. I updated to latest version like 1-2 weeks ago. Sometimes programs get buggy and reinstalling them fresh, solves it.

Thank you for your time, be safe! 😊

You can use the File -> Edit in ... feature or the "Don't ask how" method Carl123 mentioned.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

21 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

You can use the File -> Edit in ... feature or the "Don't ask how" method Carl123 mentioned.

Thanks. I am programmer, so I maybe have an idea what "Don't ask how" means... and will try it. Also, I reinstalled AP (with a system restart and all) and the issue is still present.

I deleted all the files in the  AppData/Roaming/Affinity/Photo, and in ProgramData/Affinity/Photo. Then reinstalled AP. Asked for email and license key as if it was the first time I install it. Same issue.
Makes no sense man...

I will install in another computer to debug.

Maybe I am missing the point here. You want to have the Flip controls in APhoto toolbar? There is simply NO Flip control in the APhoto toolbar and never was (or never saw it in all the versions I had) and re-installing won't help.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• 2 months later...
On 7/3/2020 at 7:52 AM, kirkt said:

Both versions of "Flip" (Document and Arrange) are available for assignment to keyboard shortcuts.  One less mouse movement and button press.

Kirk

shortcut.jpg

Thank you. I'll guess that I will have to use that "workaround" but still this in an issue of "lack of consistency". If Affinity Photo's Arrange Menu includes Flip Horizontal/Vertical options, the Customize Toolbar should have it too. And even more if there are keyboard shortcuts for it, that means that it is a feature that belongs to the program. 

Stay safe!

• 2 months later...

Since the new 1.9 Photo is in work I would like to bring that back to attention.
I jump between Photo and Designer and I really find that two FLIP icons in Designer EXTREMELY handy. Please Affinity devs, could you kindly consider adding these two icons to Photo as well? I mean the functionality is there in "ARRANGE" menu already but having ability to just quickly access icons like in Designer would be absolutely brilliant.

13 hours ago, nezumi said:

Since the new 1.9 Photo is in work I would like to bring that back to attention.
I jump between Photo and Designer and I really find that two FLIP icons in Designer EXTREMELY handy. Please Affinity devs, could you kindly consider adding these two icons to Photo as well? I mean the functionality is there in "ARRANGE" menu already but having ability to just quickly access icons like in Designer would be absolutely brilliant.

The flip buttons and rotate buttons are available for adding to the main toolbar in AP beta 1.9.0.206 for macOS.