You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

is there any way to set default directory to be currently working directory?

This has been asked before on the Feature requests for forums. It is a tricky one to respond to. Sometimes I  find that I want to Export to the same directory  that I loaded a file from and sometimes I want to save it in a different directory.  As far as I am aware, the 'default directory' is the  one you last used for the same purpose, so it will save to the last folder you saved to, and load from the last folder you loaded from.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

3 hours ago, John Rostron said:

As far as I am aware, the 'default directory' is the  one you last used for the same purpose, so it will save to the last folder you saved to, and load from the last folder you loaded from.

With a few exceptions, for me in the Mac versions it seems there is only one default directory, that being the last one accessed. IOW, there is no separate default for opens or saves. The only (I think) exception is importing things like Styles, Assets, or Brushes categories -- that does not seem to change the default from the last directory used for an open or save.

Regarding this being tricky, I'm not sure how a "current working directory" default should work, even if it was an option. After all, it isn't unusual to have a document with placed or embedded files from different directories in it, so what would be the working directory for that document, or for any document that has not yet been saved? There also could be several documents open in the app at the same time, some new & not yet saved & others that had been saved with or without placed/embedded files, plus documents that are open in Affinity Designer after using the File > Edit In Designer menu option in a document initially opened in Affinity Photo (or visa versa).

At least on Macs, the current default directory in open & save dialogs is a dropdown menu, with the last several items on it being "Recent Places," so that sometimes includes the desired directory. Another trick that works on Macs is to have a few Finder windows in the background opened to the desired directories. If the Affinity (or any other) app's window(s) don't obscure the Finder ones, it is possible to (after a slight delay) drag the folder from the Finder window into the app open or save window to change the location to that folder. I don't know if there are similar workarounds in Windows.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

My description of the Windows behaviour is based on my memory, which is not as reliable as it was, but I'm pretty sure that was the case. I do recall other programs offer a recently used list. This would be the ideal solution but it mght be depend on the Operating System.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 3 years later...

I agree it's a pain in the backside that when I want to export it it doesn't go to the folder I have loaded it from.  I am using Windows 10 by the way.  Most of the other Image programs I use will go back to the location that I loaded it from.  Afinity Photo V1 and V2 doesn't even go back to the last directory/folder I last used when I start up.  Will no one at Serf listen to what users really want in their updates.

• 4 months later...