You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Flood Select Tool doesn't work.

Hi, I'm new to AP but a semi-pro Photoshop user. My problem is the Magic Wand, aka Flood Select Tool. I want it to select all white in a easy picture, but it selects nothing, on some layers it will select something, on others not. Everything is so messy in AP in my opinion. I'd also like to know if you can sell your keys because this is clearly not for me. I can't get anything done with Affinity Photo, so much at this point I happily pay a monthly fee just for stuff to work.

Attached a Photoshopped image, imagine me now wasting half an hour just to select a little piece of white.

epicmike3r_UHD.jpg

1 hour ago, Wybrem said:

you need to MANUALLY rasterize the layers before the tool starts working

If you simply open an image no rasterization should be needed. It sounds like perhaps you created an empty document and placed an image into it. If you do that you get a special kind of layer that acts as a whole object rather than as a set of pixels.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It amazes me that people buy a new software, and expect it to function just like PS. I wonder if the OP took the time to try out AP before deciding on purchasing it? IMHO, those that want AP to be just like PS needs to stick with PS. I hope AP does not become a mirror, clone or so close to PS it's hard to differentiate the two. ;)

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

4 hours ago, Wybrem said:

you need to MANUALLY rasterize the layers before the tool starts working

Only if it is not a "(Pixel)" layer. Like @walt.farrell said, you probably placed an image into an empty document, or pasted an image copied from some other source into it, or dragged one into it. That results in an "(Image)" layer, a special type of layer that retains its pixel resolution independently of the document resolution.

If you just open the image normally, you get a "(Pixel)" layer.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 4 weeks later...

Yet another project and I can't finish it, the program keeps on crashing. I want a refund.  You really do get what you pay for. This program is terrible the few times I try to work with it, it either crashes or has no logic to it.

Edited by Wybrem

56 minutes ago, Wybrem said:

Yet another project and I can't finish it, the program keeps on crashing. I want a refund.  You really do get what you pay for. This program is terrible the few times I try to work with it, it either crashes or has no logic to it.

Thought you were going back to Photoshop.   You would then be getting and paying for what you seem to want.    Just me, but it doesn’t appear that there is much point in maligning Affinity Photo under the circumstances.   On the other hand, instead of saying that it either crashes or has no logic, why don’t you document what exactly you were doing before the crash?    Someone with a great deal of experience (not me) would be more than willing to help you out.   I am not a “semi-pro”  but I managed to recover a terribly damaged sepia-stained photograph from 1867 the first time I used Affinity Photo, including teasing the gentleman’s vanished right eye out of the murk.    A “pro” using Photoshop could only suggest copying the semi-visible left eye and then pasting it flipped vertically!     In my book any software worth having is worth learning.    Affinity Photo is superb but it just takes a willingness to learn something new.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=2nQ0hG0yTdk

this happens constantly when I guess copying one element to another document. Yes I really want to go back to PS but I also don’t want to pay 20 eur a month for something I use maybe 4 times a year. Right now I was asked to make a better ui for Fortnite and I’m not even working on it for 10 minutes or it crashes. It crashes when copying an element or at random with no error at all.

the facts that it is different than photoshop is really annoying but I try to deal with it. However this is ruining my work. Which is in this case very light as it’s meant for an after effects project.

I’ve browsed the web and it is filled with these complaints even on Macos. It’s running on a pretty much brand new computer with top tier specs. 

23 minutes ago, Wybrem said:

Yes I really want to go back to PS but I also don’t want to pay 20 eur a month for something I use maybe 4 times a year.

Can’t you just rent it for the months when you actually want to use it?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

32 minutes ago, Wybrem said:

the facts that it is different than photoshop is really annoying but I try to deal with it.

AP never set out to just be just a cheap version of Photoshop - some of us quite like that it is different!

Maybe you'd be happier with Photoshop Elements?

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 hour ago, IanSG said:

Beyond the fact that you did something on a Mac and AP crashed, I've literally no idea what that video's supposed to demonstrate!

I have no idea about it either, other than whatever was done was done on a PC, not a Mac. (That much is obvious from the dialog window briefly shown near the end.)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

22 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I have no idea about it either, other than whatever was done was done on a PC, not a Mac. (That much is obvious from the dialog window briefly shown near the end.)

Also obvious from the ‘Minimize/Maximize/Close’ buttons at top right (instead of ‘traffic lights’ at top left) briefly shown near the beginning, and the taskbar icons shown in the middle.

Wybrem wrote on YouTube:

Pls forget to like and subskribe.

OK, duly forgotten! devil2.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 4/9/2019 at 6:23 AM, Wybrem said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=2nQ0hG0yTdk

this happens constantly when I guess copying one element to another document. Yes I really want to go back to PS but I also don’t want to pay 20 eur a month for something I use maybe 4 times a year. Right now I was asked to make a better ui for Fortnite and I’m not even working on it for 10 minutes or it crashes. It crashes when copying an element or at random with no error at all.

the facts that it is different than photoshop is really annoying but I try to deal with it. However this is ruining my work. Which is in this case very light as it’s meant for an after effects project.

I’ve browsed the web and it is filled with these complaints even on Macos. It’s running on a pretty much brand new computer with top tier specs. 

Sounds like you might be happier with Photoshop Elements, a slimmed down version of Photoshop that does not require a hefty monthly subscription

• 1 month later...
On 4/16/2019 at 10:21 AM, Pariah73 said:

Sounds like you might be happier with Photoshop Elements, a slimmed down version of Photoshop that does not require a hefty monthly subscription

No elements is to basic, I'm back at photoshop, just tried to AP again, it instantly crashes when importing 8K photos, it even crashes when you make a square 8K and try to copy it to a new project lmfao. It's so bad still. our whole company stayed on Adobe because Affinity photo is just to unstable and can't do basic things. Still regret buying it. I won't evne try to import my 50MP photos that I use for many photos such as in my first post here. Based on 5 50MP photos in Photoshop. Affinity Photo would prolly blow up the whole country here lfmao.

But even without 8K and beyond. I tried doing my current project in it. Which is making a ui for a game that's being developed by me. When it works it's good, but it crashes so much. Even Unreal Engine is more stable which says a lot xd. I'll try to make a video, maybe the devs can do something with it.

1 hour ago, Pariah73 said:

Well have you tried CS2? Adobe is offering it for free as they are no longer supporting it.  It may not have a few features you are used to if you have used Photoshop CC but it does the job that CS2 was originally meant to do. 

As discussed in the second part of this article, for several reasons CS2 is not very workable for most users.

Affinity Photo 

I

On 3/16/2019 at 3:10 PM, Wybrem said:

Hi, I'm new to AP but a semi-pro Photoshop user. My problem is the Magic Wand, aka Flood Select Tool. I want it to select all white in a easy picture, but it selects nothing, on some layers it will select something, on others not. Everything is so messy in AP in my opinion. I'd also like to know if you can sell your keys because this is clearly not for me. I can't get anything done with Affinity Photo, so much at this point I happily pay a monthly fee just for stuff to work.

If you just want to select the white area's you can select by colour sampling: Select> Select Sample Colour and play with the tolerance.

If your having problems with a large image crashing when loading, have you tried placing an image into a new project instead? Obviously it will need rasterising to work on.

• Staff

Hi Wybrem,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I'm sorry you are having trouble with Affinity Photo. Do you mind creating new thread in the Bugs on Windows section with as much details as possible for us to try to reproduce/replicate the issue here please? If we can replicate it we can surely fix it. Thank you.

Hi @Painty,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Sorry the delay getting back to you. First make sure you are working with a pixel layer (look at the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers Panel). If it says Image, right-click on the layer and select Rasterise. You should then be able to create the selection with the Flood Selection Tool. Note the that clicking with it (no dragging) will use the Tolerance value to select the colours that fit within the tolerance you specified. Dif you drag the tool instead it will increase/decrease the Tolerance value while you are selecting to add or remove more colours interactively to the selection.

14 hours ago, R C-R said:

As discussed in the second part of this article, for several reasons CS2 is not very workable for most users.

Naturally it's not the go-to solution, but I have been using it, problem free, on Windows 10 (1903) so it's worth a shot if OP doesn't find anything else to work.

• 3 years later...

Good evening, I hope someone is still seeing this thread?  I am new to Affinity Suite - I originally learned graphic design in Corel Draw 3, if that tells you anything about why I have this silly question. -I never really got the hang of layers (as CD didn't use them).  Returning to this a ba-zillion years later....... I would like to fill a vector that I didn't make - its in the png format.  I have "placed" it, and also "dragged it" to my canvas, I have rasterized, and tried to select with the magic wand, varying attempts to complete this exercise.  I want to wholly fill the individual spaces with different colors - If I rasterize it, then the edges become pixelated (which I expect) but it just looks unprofessional.  I am currently using Designer in the Pixel persona for this but I am under the impression I don't need to be in Affinity Photo to do most photo-like exercises? Thoughts or suggests, advice welcomed please. Thanks

DoodleFrames_PixelGarden-14.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-05 at 4.50.40 PM.png

1 hour ago, Wahine Bird said:

I would like to fill a vector that I didn't make - its in the png format.

If it is from a PNG then it is not a vector. That's because PNG is a raster image format. It does not support vector objects.

Affinity Photo