You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This question comes up so very often! It’s far from obvious that the Inpainting Brush Tool is hiding in the same toolbar flyout as the Healing Brush Tool and other repair tools. :(

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
49 minutes ago, Alfred said:

This question comes up so very often! It’s far from obvious that the Inpainting Brush Tool is hiding in the same toolbar flyout as the Healing Brush Tool and other repair tools. :(

Would make for a good improvement suggestion so it wasn't grouped with anything else.

Personally ,i've used View>Customise Tools to add it to the tools, but can see how having it on it's own by default would save a lot questions.

13 minutes ago, stokerg said:

Would make for a good improvement suggestion so it wasn't grouped with anything else.

Personally ,i've used View>Customise Tools to add it to the tools, but can see how having it on it's own by default would save a lot questions.

Even just having it listed first in the group would save a lot of questions!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

This question comes up so very often! It’s far from obvious that the Inpainting Brush Tool is hiding in the same toolbar flyout as the Healing Brush Tool and other repair tools. :(

If nothing else, it would be helpful if all the Tool panel icons that hid fly-out options indicated that in a more visually obvious way.

One way to do that which should be easy to implement is to enlarge the little triangular overlay in the corner of these icons a bit & increase its brightness, or contrast.   Back before the apps got the Light UI option, I dug around in the app's resources in the Mac version & found that the triangle was in fact a separate overlay file (a png with transparency, IIRC), & that I could edit that file to make it one pixel thicker & bright red without breaking anything.

Not only did that make it easier to tell that the icon had fly-out options, it also increased the area where clicking opened the fly-out, which made it easier to do that instead of accidentally selecting the current tool.

When I updated to the Light UI versions, my little hack was removed & I never got around to trying it again, but I suspect it would still work ... & be very easy for the devs to implement.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7