You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi!

I'm trying to duplicate the inkscape tutorial in this video and I'm stuck on the polkadot effect. I've looked for a while so hopefully I haven't overlooked the answer. Everything I've found seems pretty labor intensive compared to the technique in this video (shown at about 4:50). Another thing (I haven't tested this in inkscape to be sure) the ability to blur the circle seems to have a much wider range in inkscape.

Thanks for the help!

Affinity's Halftone filter is rudimentary at best. It doesn't deal with blurs and transparency with brushes, I've tried several ways and it just doesn't apply a halftone effect, the method below is the only way I got it to work.

If you make an ellipse, and add an elliptical gradient Black to white but set the whites opacity to 0% it should look something like the effect you want to achieve. 

This is the effect you'd get
157846237_ScreenShot2019-03-16at08_02_00.png.18237fb5136ecadfd551ca43cbfccd8c.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, joshua1187 said:

I see... Thanks for trying!

What you'll want to do to create that halftone effect is as follows:

• Create a rectangle shape the size of your document (Use the snapping feature to assist you)
  • With the rectangle still active (selected) use the gradient tool with Radial as the Type and have one end of the gradient set to 100% white and the other end set to 100% black
  • Add a Live Halftone filter layer above the rectangle shape layer with Screen type set to Dot, Contrast set to 100, Cell size you'll want to play with to reach your desired affect.
  • Go back and select your rectangle shape while using the gradient tool and stretch the nodes until you reach the desired amount of fade (or simulated blur)
  • Once you have your halftone effect where you want it, you can use the Filter function "Erase White Paper" to destructively remove the white areas while simultaneously rasterizing the layer.

Hope this helps!

• 2 years later...