You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

selection from layer problem

hello, often, but not always,  when I try to re-open a selection using the "selection from layer" function the selection does not come out but rather the entire frame is selected.

First photo with the selection on

second photo with the selection deselected

After the  "selection from layer" function the entire photo is selected

1.png

2.png

3.png

Wouldn't "selection from layer" select the complete layer, and isn't that what you got?

You'd need to have a layer smaller than the background to get anything else, I think.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Now I am confused buy I thought that if you open e file with a selection in it and you selselct it, to get the selection back you could use the select from layer function. I am prettey shure this is what i did in other occasions.

In Photo you can save a pixel selection for later reuse, but you need to do it explicitly:

On the Channels studio panel, right-click on "Pixel Selection" and choose "Create Spare Channel" in the resulting menu.  This will create a "Spare Channel" entry below the Pixel Selection channel in the list (depending on how big the panel is in your configuration you may need to scroll to find it), which will effectively match the pixel selection.

To re-select that later, right-click on the Spare Channel and choose "Load to Pixel Selection".

7 hours ago, fde101 said:

In Photo you can save a pixel selection for later reuse, but you need to do it explicitly:

On the Channels studio panel, right-click on "Pixel Selection" and choose "Create Spare Channel" in the resulting menu.  This will create a "Spare Channel" entry below the Pixel Selection channel in the list (depending on how big the panel is in your configuration you may need to scroll to find it), which will effectively match the pixel selection.

To re-select that later, right-click on the Spare Channel and choose "Load to Pixel Selection".

Thank you, I usualky save the selection as a layer but alkso as a Pixel selection but got confused. Late at night is better to sleep, I guess....

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.