Jump to content
Jiri_D

Affinity Designer - bleed/print crop marks not function (not go -position)

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hello all, 

please I have problem with bleed, specialy print crop marks in export to PDF.

I have document (business card) and size of document is bigger in every size by +3mm.

For PDF export I need put into this document crop marks with bleed 3mm ( this crop marks go -3mm to the documet) and give me pure bussiness card size.

If I set in >docoment setup "bleed" to 3mm, in export I have set "include bleed and include crop marks", after export pdf with this settings NOTHING HAPPEND

 

= crop marks are always in maximum document size not -3mm inside document. (I try put against 3mm / -3mm / and diferent numbers...nothing happend).

Please help!!! Im mad,  because in PS it was 2 click in PDF export and it was done, here I cant handle it easy way. TY for your help

crop_marks_for_print_bleed-3mm.jpg

Edited by Jiri_D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jiri_D and Welcome to the Forums,

1st i'd suggest trying this in the current beta which you can download from here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/60-affinity-designer-beta-forums/ as it has a viewable bleed guide, which the release build doesn't, so might make it easier to work with a bleed that you can see.  Make sure your design goes up to the bleed guide and publish to PDF.  If still having problems, please attach the .afdesign file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, stokerg said:

Hi Jiri_D and Welcome to the Forums,

1st i'd suggest trying this in the current beta which you can download from here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/60-affinity-designer-beta-forums/ as it has a viewable bleed guide, which the release build doesn't, so might make it easier to work with a bleed that you can see.  Make sure your design goes up to the bleed guide and publish to PDF.  If still having problems, please attach the .afdesign file.

Hello, here is my BusinessCard file...I have document size with +3mm every site, and bleed is set to 3mm - in exported PDF all crop print marks are not -3mm inside BusinessCard, but are situated in the corners of documet size (90mm+6mm and 55mm+6mm). 

They should be -3mm inside document size, in positions for 90x55mm document size.

Thank you!

Best regards, Jiri 

BusinessCard_with_3mm_bleed_90x55mm.pdf

BusinessCard_with_3mm_bleed_90x55mm.afdesign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the design is suppose to be 90x55 mm, then the page size needs to be that size. Then the background of your card needs to be extended past the page edges your 3 mm on all sides.

Your PDF export. You then need to click on the More button and ensure the PDF will include bleed and any marks required.

I have attached modified versions of both the modified AD file and PDF made from it.

Mike

BusinessCard_with_3mm_bleed_90x55mm-modified.afdesign

BusinessCard_with_3mm_bleed_90x55mm-modified.pdf


My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, MikeW said:

If the design is suppose to be 90x55 mm, then the page size needs to be that size. Then the background of your card needs to be extended past the page edges your 3 mm on all sides.

Your PDF export. You then need to click on the More button and ensure the PDF will include bleed and any marks required.

I have attached modified versions of both the modified AD file and PDF made from it.

Mike

BusinessCard_with_3mm_bleed_90x55mm-modified.afdesign

BusinessCard_with_3mm_bleed_90x55mm-modified.pdf

Oh:(

thank you for explain and help, but Im sad..because that means, that bleed settings here do different things then in Ps - that means all my old work which was prepared this way  (all prints I have) I must in future repair by this way..(not just easy print what I was expect)..

Btw, why minus (-) in Document setup >Bleed  is not function? This could solve my problem;) ...

Or, please, do you have any idea if is any way, how to set positions of crop print marks in PDF export? (which one could help me solve this problem  with my old data compatibility)..

Thank you, have nice day!

Jiri

Edited by Jiri_D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just for info (edited):

1) Bleed 0 = trim print marks are in the corners of document size (background out document size is not visible)..

2) Bleed  number + (+3mm for example) = trim print marks are in far away 3mm from picture, but in same position which shows document size (background out document size is now visible)..

3) Bleed number - (-3mm for example) = trim print marks are in the corners original document size (background 3mm inside document is not visible).. 

In last sw I use was possible by Bleed setings control position of trim prints marks by (-) position, so was possible set trim area to lower size. which was for me useful:)  

Edited by Jiri_D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Jiri,

Document bleed settings simply tell the application to constrain any item that bleeds to the amount entered. Page size equals the amount the print establishment will trim to, so the finished size of a particular design after they trim the paper down.

I don't remember exactly how Photoshop works in this regard, but I have always set a document to the trim size I expect. I only use bitmap editors for, well, editing bitmaps. I have always used the resulting edited bitmap in other applications (layout applications, vector editors such as AD, etc.).

Negative numbers for bleed simply shouldn't be used. I don't remember anything working this way. Nothing I use actually can do this (but I didn't start PS if that application can do this...but I would be surprised. Especially in today's largely automated checking systems for PDFs that absolutely expect a page size to be the final trim size.

Sorry.

Mike


My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Hello Jiri,

Document bleed settings simply tell the application to constrain any item that bleeds to the amount entered. Page size equals the amount the print establishment will trim to, so the finished size of a particular design after they trim the paper down.

I don't remember exactly how Photoshop works in this regard, but I have always set a document to the trim size I expect. I only use bitmap editors for, well, editing bitmaps. I have always used the resulting edited bitmap in other applications (layout applications, vector editors such as AD, etc.).

Negative numbers for bleed simply shouldn't be used. I don't remember anything working this way. Nothing I use actually can do this (but I didn't start PS if that application can do this...but I would be surprised. Especially in today's largely automated checking systems for PDFs that absolutely expect a page size to be the final trim size.

Sorry.

Mike

Hello Mike,

Yes, I know I was prepared my raw data (for my use) in past wrong way, but it was very easy use this documents for future editing..document size was minimal +3mm (or else) bigger and there was expandeded background and was super easy way possible only set with export proces real document size..(because it was bitmaps editors where normaly expanded background is not visible on the screen) ..

Thank you for your help and have nice day.

Regards, Jiri.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2019 at 11:18 AM, MikeW said:

If the design is suppose to be 90x55 mm, then the page size needs to be that size. Then the background of your card needs to be extended past the page edges your 3 mm on all sides.

Your PDF export. You then need to click on the More button and ensure the PDF will include bleed and any marks required.

I have attached modified versions of both the modified AD file and PDF made from it.

Mike

BusinessCard_with_3mm_bleed_90x55mm-modified.afdesign

BusinessCard_with_3mm_bleed_90x55mm-modified.pdf

The bleed doesn't work on artboards on the last version of beta.
I downloaded your file, convert to artboard and export to PDF and crop mark stay on edges of rectangle. Can you test?

Ty for your help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Willgommes said:

The bleed doesn't work on artboards on the last version of beta.
I downloaded your file, convert to artboard and export to PDF and crop mark stay on edges of rectangle. Can you test?

Ty for your help. 

Sure thing once I am back around the computer. 


My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Willgommes said:

The bleed doesn't work on artboards on the last version of beta.
I downloaded your file, convert to artboard and export to PDF and crop mark stay on edges of rectangle. Can you test?

Ty for your help. 

There are reasons I don't use artboards. 

However, it isn't that the AD beta doesn't output the bleed. It does.The print marks that are not in the proper location. The same issue occurs in the release version.

What doesn't happen in the release version vs. the beta is that the beta is rasterizing the biz card design and the release version is not.


My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×