You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Public Beta (1.2.0.24665)

• Staff

Purpose: Features / Improvements / Fixes

Requirements: None

Mac App Store: Not submitted

New beta sign-ups: https://affinity.serif.com/photo

Update: Run the app to get the link

Features / Improvements / Fixes

- Levels adjustment can now be applied per channel.
- Custom blend gamma (per layer) (Blending Options dialog).
- Text defaults to 1.45 gamma (looks crisper).
- Custom coverage / AA maps (per layer) (Blending Options dialog).
- Pixel Tool can now erase (hold Command).
- Crop tool will now snap to guides, page edge.
- Marquee tools will now snap to guides, page edge.
- Option to always show a brush crosshair in Preferences.
- Menu items to facilitate switching Persona - (Affinity Photo menu).
- Duplicating a pixel layer with a pixel selection will do the right thing.
- PSD import / export improvements.
- Layers panel context menus.
- Resize canvas improvements.
- Fixed moving guides & samplers with a pixel selection.
- Paste As New Document fixes.
- Colour picker accuracy improvements.
- Brush cursors will now correctly honour larger accessibility settings.
- Can now specify default working space conversion / assignment (and warnings) in Preferences.
- Live blend modes on Filter Effects dialog.
- New “Saturation” slider for Develop Persona.
- Vignette filter improvements.
- Hand Tool / Zoom Tool improvements.
- Develop brushes have context bar elements for size, hardness.
- Liquify brushes can be sized using [ and ].
- Smudge brush improvements.
- Hold Shift while dragging RGB or CMYK sliders in the Colour panel to create tints / shades.
- Flood fill improvements.

- Numerous stability and performance improvements.

- Numerous minor Develop Persona improvements.

Wow, I *love* the new Crop Tool snapping options :)  … would it be possible to add an additional history step as well, as I suggested some time ago?

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/6374-crop-tool-additional-history-step/

Or how can I go back to *refine* my crop selection after having applied the crop? I fear I am missing something essential here …  :unsure:

Just playing around, noticed that importing HSL adjustment from PS is not working properly. I reported this a few betas back... Do you want me to send the problem file?

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

It does, just remember to turn on your Snapping (little cartoon magnet) on the tool bar

Any chance to make crop tool snap to pixel item boundaries like in PS?

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

Crop tool is missing a resize from center (Command) and constrain (Shift) modifier keys functionality. I realize you can set Constraint using the Context toolbar, but muscle memory trumps context toolbar  :P

Beta is looking awesome!

REQUEST: Please enable the ability to drag a guide from the rulers using ANY tool, not just the Move tool.

REQUEST: When dragging out rulers, please enable some enhanced functionality using modifier keys. For example, it would be great for guides to stick to the rulers' tick marks (which would vary according to zoom level) when holding down a modifier key. Also, it would be great to duplicate guides by option/cmd + dragging on any guide , so you don't have to go all the way back (lol) to the ruler. Also, the ability to hit a modifier key temporarily and have Affinity swap the guide currently being edited or placed guide to its opposite (horizontal goes to vertical, and vice versa). 

Thanks for considering these ideas and all your hard work.

Awesome, thank you so much!!!! That blend gamma is a dream come true for me!

Small thing: The slider starts at 1.0, but Gamma is an exponent, thus values between 0 and 1 should also be available.

And I know I am completely insatiable, but there is another thing relating to blend gamma: Could you maybe make blurs (and possibly other convolution filters, but blurs are the main problem) perform their calculations at gamma 1.0 as well internally, or offer a "compute at gamma" option there as well?

Following example situation:

Fill a document with RGB( 255, 0, 0 ) and draw a medium-sized rectangle with RGB( 0, 255, 0 ) right on top of it in the center of the document and then apply a blur to the green rectangle. At Gamma 2.2, the transition area will be an unnatural looking muddy brown.

Now set the blend gamma for the rectangle layer to something closer to 1.0 – now the transition will be a much better and accurate looking colour.

Now try to apply the blur to the entire document instead, or just to any regular flattened photo. You are stuck with the unnatural gamma 2.2 edge artifacts there. Blurring at gamma 1.0 leads to much more natural results.

While blend gamma for layers is a real power-user-only feature, I think gamma 1.0 blur would actually be a feature that can be used for advertising if you  showed gamma 1.0 blur results side by side with results from Photoshop's Gaussian Blur filter, which suffers from this problem as well for Gamma 2.2 images.

It might be worth considering to internally composite brush strokes at gamma 1.0 as well in the paint engine at some point in the future (or add a setting, either for brushes or somewhere in Preferences where it does not confuse casual users).

I know you have more pressing issues right now, just something to maybe keep in mind for the future. Thank you so much for the blend gamma, that is huge already!

EDIT: I just found this video that explains all that much better than I could, they even use the same example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKnqECcg6Gw

Edited by Peter Werner

Andy,

The new Tint functionality in the color panel is neat. However, from a print design perspective, I am accustomed to specifying Tints in % from 0% to 100%, usually via a slider or 10% increment swatches, or some other mechanism of standardized units. The Shift + Drag mechanism is cool and useful perhaps in illustration or other workflows, but it's too imprecise (loose?) for my workflow...

Hi Tom,

I think we can do a hex thing - try the little burger menu in the Colour page!

Andy.

Edit: Ahh.. - CMYK.. sounds like a reasonable feature request!

Yes, I noticed the Blend Options curves panel UI has numeric input fields, but the adjustment Curves UI does not! Can you bring the numeric UI input fields to the adjustment curves panel as well?

I'm up to the most recent beta and loving it still so far, except in painting with the brushes I'm still getting a fairly frequent random switch to the zoom tool. :/ I think it may be happening when I'm hitting CMD+Z for undo, and it seems to be a glitch because the undo is still performed, yet the zoom tool is also selected.

• Staff

I'm up to the most recent beta and loving it still so far, except in painting with the brushes I'm still getting a fairly frequent random switch to the zoom tool. :/ I think it may be happening when I'm hitting CMD+Z for undo, and it seems to be a glitch because the undo is still performed, yet the zoom tool is also selected.

Ah, now that's interesting... I'll try to see if there's a fault in the logic that's somehow letting this happen... I'd tried and tried to make this go wrong previously and couldn't get it to happen, but didn't realise you were hitting Cmd+Z periodically... 'Z' single character press is obviously the shortcut key for Zoom Tool, so it makes sense if somehow we think we're receiving the key without the Cmd modifier being down? It's worth another look! :) 

• Staff

Yes, I noticed the Blend Options curves panel UI has numeric input fields, but the adjustment Curves UI does not! Can you bring the numeric UI input fields to the adjustment curves panel as well?

I'm sure it's on Andy's radar, Ronny - have no fear! :)

• Staff

- Hold Shift while dragging RGB or CMYK sliders in the Colour panel to create tints / shades.

I really luv this feature, will u add this feature in Affinity Designer???
It's really useful and powerful feature like color picker !!   :wub:

It's already in the next beta of Affinity Designer... :)  This is the great thing about a shared back-end, it means that nice things like this are automatically in all the products, as are any bug fixes :)

Hey all, shouldn't the export persona have a before / after thingy?

Like have the original work on the left and what it'll look like exported on the right?

So if i drop the jpeg quality, i should see the difference...

Is that there and I'm missing it somehow?

Thanks! :)

• Staff

Hi sk3pt1c,

We're going to change the Export Persona so that it always shows the export areas as they'll actually export so you can see the artefacts on your jpeg, zoom in and play with the settings until you get it right. At present, it just draws the document like normal, but this will change. Before/After is an interesting idea, we'll think about it :)

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks Matt, 

Here's how i see it, being admittedly a light user: there could be two windows, one on the left for the original and one on the right for the to-be-exported image, or if you need more space you could have one window and toggle a before/after view with a checkbox or a keyboard shortcut? :)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.