You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Beta locking up system for a few seconds

First of all, this beta has improved performance no end, even in large files. I can actually consider AP for professional 3d artist post production again. So thanks!

A few things though.

1) I'm finding AP locking up my entire system for a few seconds randomly. I didn't experience this in previous versions, just progressively then persistent sloginess (gone now thankfully). The issue is preceded by a laggy interface then accompanied by any music I have playing in a web browser garbling and stuttering. My system then locks up for a few seconds and returns to normal. We use pretty intensive 3d and rendering software, and it's very rare for any of it to lock up my entire system like this. Not a major issue as it doesn't last long thankfully.

2) I think it would be a good idea to look at how clear the indicators are when nesting layers/adjustments. At the moment there is a very slight difference in indicator between placing a layer below or above another layer, or nesting it instead. There is a horizontal blue block that appears between the layers/adjustments yet the opacity of it makes it hard to see whats going on. This needs to be bigger or a even better a different colour perhaps. Green to place a layer above or below another, and yellow to nest?

3) Not all adjustment layers are 32bit. I can think of a few obvious reasons for this, but it may be an idea to tool tip what is 32bit/16bit/8bit etc.

4) Inverting masks does not update the thumbnail preview. This can be confusing and frustrating.

5) Duplication of channels from one document to another?

6) Copy flattened takes far too long.

7)  Selection masks, say for a 3d rendered tree. The selection is not accurate. See attached images.

AP - Black edges

PS - Smooth

Same channel render used in both PS and AP

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

I had a major lockup and only had a couple of simple adjustments It started with hesitations and ended up almost locking my sm system to the point wher only an occasional long past mouse movement would show. The power switch was the only option

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

2 hours ago, MancDan said:

I'm finding AP locking up my entire system for a few seconds randomly.

Hi @MancDan, would you be able to record a video of this? What were you doing at the time? Is it the same thing each time which causes the lock up? What's your CPU usage like at the time? Any chance you could try running LatencyMon and let me know what the report says? We've had a couple of customers mention something similar, so it would be good to get this sorted out.

35 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Hi @MancDan, would you be able to record a video of this? What were you doing at the time? Is it the same thing each time which causes the lock up? What's your CPU usage like at the time? Any chance you could try running LatencyMon and let me know what the report says? We've had a couple of customers mention something similar, so it would be good to get this sorted out.

Difficult to record as it' so short in nature, would have to get some kind of scree capture installed by IT.

The times it has happened, I get the tingling sense, it has something to do with switching between different applications quickly (windows taskbar) and then back to AP? That's all I got :P just a feeling i'm afraid. I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary .

16 minutes ago, MancDan said:

Difficult to record as it' so short in nature, would have to get some kind of scree capture installed by IT.

The times it has happened, I get the tingling sense, it has something to do with switching between different applications quickly (windows taskbar) and then back to AP? That's all I got :P just a feeling i'm afraid. I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary .

Thanks, I'll get QA to try and reproduce something similar.

I'm not sure if it's the same problem, but I had to kill Designer Bêta on Win 7 and Win 10, working on a simple diagram, I was only using rectangle with round corners, circle and text, with simple fill and strokes, nothing complicated, it was on the same file (I didn't make a lot of files recently, I can't compare with working on different ones).
Designer was unresponsive.

There's no crash reports in the folder for yesterday and today.

On 3/15/2019 at 4:50 PM, Jon P said:

Hi MancDan,

Can you let me know what version and build of Windows you are on? (typing winver in run prompt and screenshotting it would be great)

Thanks!

Windows 10 Version 1809 (OS build 17763.379)

Latest beta build.

• 3 weeks later...

I found that the system SSD has very low random 4K write speed (like 1-3MB/s), it should be like +100MB/s.
Now I'm running everyting on different SSD  and all looks nice and dandy. I guess the GPUs are fine.

But the again the Updates from Microsoft...never sure what's gonna break.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.