You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Master Page and Picture Frames

To learn how to use pictures frames I first added a picture frame to a blank page and experimented with different ways of adding images and scaling. moving within the frame etc. Happy with how it worked. I then when on to add a picture frame to a Master Page, and the behavour was different.

I have created a picture frame on a master page and then on a new page based on the master page I Placed a picture into the master frame. I then dbl clicked on the image went to Properties to select “Scale to Min fit”.  I observed the following issues.

1.    None stays selected as well as Scale to Min Fit option

2.    Click on None and it deselects

3.    Click on done and nothing happens

4.    Reselect properties and None again selected.

5.    The size slider bar adjusts the scale no problem.

6.    Right click paste as content not available either

Picture frame on a page works as expected

Sorry, you are correct that they do not seem directly related, but if you scroll down a bit in that other thread, there are demonstrations of the text wrap mode behaving essentially as I think what you are describing in #1 - #3 (maybe #4?) so I suspect that part of what you are reporting may be somehow related to that.

I think the issue is that this particular property is being "locked" along with the size/position of the frame with the default "Edit Frame Content" mode of the master page.  Switch the master page layer to "Edit Detached" and it seems to work correctly.

I think the Affinity dens either needs to disable these controls when the master page mode is such that they are locked (as they appear to have done with the text wrap settings in the more recent versions), or automatically treat this as "Edit Detached" when someone tries to change it.

8 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Sorry, you are correct that they do not seem directly related, but if you scroll down a bit in that other thread, there are demonstrations of the text wrap mode behaving essentially as I think what you are describing in #1 - #3 (maybe #4?) so I suspect that part of what you are reporting may be somehow related to that

But he's taking about picture scaling within a picture frame, not about text wrapping.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

But he's taking about picture scaling within a picture frame, not about text wrapping.

Yes, but the settings in the picture frame properties are behaving the way that the text wrapping options were previously.  I suspect this is related in that the underlying mechanism being used to provide the controls in the UI may be the same or similarly coded and hitting up against the same underlying issue.

I cannot say if it is similar or not to the text wrap issue, as I have not looked at text wrap yet. The main issue is the difference between manageing the content of a picture frame on a Master Page compared to a picture frame inserted directly on a Page. When Publisher goes live one of my first tasks involves a page or pages (hence master page workflow) that consists of images added consistently in location and size with little text just captions. So i want to be able to design the layout and adjust /scale the picture frame content quickly.

2 hours ago, SteveP110 said:

The main issue is the difference between manageing the content of a picture frame on a Master Page compared to a picture frame inserted directly on a Page.

On the page where you are trying to adjust it, before opening the properties, right-click on the master page in the Layers panel and select "Edit Detached"

That also allows me to edit the frame not just contents, the contents were added to the page not the master, just into a picture frame inherited from the master. Also why can I by double clicki on  on the image and get the slider to adjust position and scale within tne master frame and yet none of the other propperties work including the none issue.

I looked at text frames and by double clicking in a Master created text frame I can edit the text, change its typeface and style/ size  but not its colour using the context menu bar; yet i can via  cange its colour using the swatches panelthe panels.

There appears to be a lot of inconsistancies still when using Master pages

4 hours ago, SteveP110 said:

the contents were added to the page not the master, just into a picture frame inherited from the master.

The scaling mode is considered a property of the frame rather than a property of the contents: the frame is maintaining the scale of the image in the frame, so when you are trying to change the scaling mode, you are in effect trying to edit the frame.

I can edit the text, change its typeface and style/ size  but not its colour

For some strange reason, the color has something to do with being a property of the text frame as well - that sounds *extremely* far-fetched to me, but that is how Affinity team members explained this one in another thread where this was discussed.  You can work around it by applying the color to a style and the style to the text (which is probably the more technically correct approach anyway), but I do think this should be fixed - if it is not a bug, it is definitely a design flaw.

There appears to be a lot of inconsistancies still when using Master pages

Agreed, there is still a lot of room for improvement.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.