Orazio

[Cannot Reproduce] Problem using Geometry tool - Stop working

My Affinity Designer stopped working (two times) when I used the geometry tool and it was necessary to shut down the Mac. I was drawing a very simple logo and needed to put all the lines together.
The version of my Affinity Designer is 1.6.1 and I don't know if there is any update.
The version of my pc is macOS Mojave 10.14.3. I got in touch with Apple Support but it was not enough.
Unfortunately I don't have a contact from Affinity Designer support team. I'd like to know if it's possible to get any information about this problem, and preferably in Portuguese.

Thanks a lot,

Orazio

Hi @Orazio,

Welcome to the forums. 

This is the correct place to report bugs, so you're in the right place. Unfortunately, we do not have any native Portuguese support, but if you want we can translate it back to Portuguese (as good as Google Translate can do it)

Was that crash just a one-time crash? Can you replicate it? 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Posted (edited)

Hello @GabrielM,

I did encounter the same issue on my Mac today with the Geometry option in Affinity Designer v1.6.1.

When I use Geometry > Subtract when I have to objects selected, it seems that the Geometry process freezes.

The Subtract progress bar shows as expected and shows completed (progress 100%) immediately, but the progress bar does not disappear and after that I cannot continue/ select objects and so on. Only solution is to force quite the application and start it. 

The issue occurs every time when I use the Geometry tool.

These are my Mac details: Mac mini,  Intel Core i7 3,2 GHz (6 cores),  L2-cache (per core): 256 KB, L3-cache: 12 MB, Memory: 32 GB

Same issue occurs in Affinity Photo v1.6.7

I hope you can help me.

Thank you very much for your support.

Regards,

Mark

Edited by MTL

Hi @GabrielM,

Thanks for you reply.

I did some more troubleshooting after my initial submission.

I've made an edit to the post, but this didn't get saved.

I managed to solve the issue.

My objects are relatively complex with many anchorpoints. I noticed that I did not have the issue with using the Geometry options on a simple object.

Once I:

• Clean-up unnecessary point and curves
  • Made sure al the curves are closed
  • Use the Corner Tool to correct the corners and then Bake them

I was able to Combine/Subtract objects as needed.

So I'm happy to report that my issue is solved.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for raising this issue - we have closed it as "by design".

We have been unable to reproduce this issue, so we have closed it. If further information becomes available, we will reopen the issue.

On 3/15/2019 at 8:57 AM, GabrielM said:

Unfortunately, we do not have any native Portuguese support, but if you want we can translate it back to Portuguese (as good as Google Translate can do it)

Can’t you enlist the help of @MEB? :/

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

On 4/5/2019 at 8:29 PM, >|< said:

One user needs to reboot the machine and another needs to force quit, and the classification is "by design"?

I've asked for screen-recording and sample file, the user did not wish to share it and reported the problem is solved:

On 4/4/2019 at 8:03 PM, MTL said:

So I'm happy to report that my issue is solved.

Not much I can investigate at this point. 

2 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

I've asked for screen-recording and sample file, the user did not wish to share it

That sounds to me like “cannot reproduce”!

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

Yes,I often wondered why Serif calls it by design?
To me "By Design" means it was intentionally created to do thing(s) it does.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win10(1809)Home / Photo / Designer / Publisher & latest (beta) versions