You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Live filter: layer suddenly changed after rasterisation

I have a layer with median blur filter applied. When i rasterise it (with filter) - it drastically changes appearance on semitransparent parts. Like blur became not the same before rasterisation. See screenshots

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 17.01.26.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 17.01.42.png

• Staff

Hi IPv6,
When the zoom level is set to a value lower than 100%, live filters/adjustments are dynamically applied to a low-resolution version of your work (called mipmaps) - we do this for performance reasons, to speed up the workflow/rendering within the application - and so what you see on screen is NOT what the filter would look if it was applied to the full size work - often it looks exaggerated depending on the type of filter/adjustment you used. When the zoom level is set to 100% or above, live filters do display accurately because they are applied directly to the full size image and so there's no visible differences between what you see on screen and the real output.

Since some filters also display specific rendering traits when not displayed at 1:1 px (which includes zoom levels above 100%) I recommend to always check everything at 100% zoom.

On 3/15/2019 at 11:32 AM, MEB said:

Hi IPv6,
When the zoom level is set to a value lower than 100%, live filters/adjustments are dynamically applied to a low-resolution version of your work (called mipmaps) - we do this for performance reasons, to speed up the workflow/rendering within the application - and so what you see on screen is NOT what the filter would look if it was applied to the full size work - often it looks exaggerated depending on the type of filter/adjustment you used. When the zoom level is set to 100% or above, live filters do display accurately because they are applied directly to the full size image and so there's no visible differences between what you see on screen and the real output.

Since some filters also display specific rendering traits when not displayed at 1:1 px (which includes zoom levels above 100%) I recommend to always check everything at 100% zoom.

It is a known technique in software development, but I think the user interface should in some way communicate this to the customer - a simple notification like you notify about other events. Perhaps less intrusive than a dialog box that must be close though.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.