It seems to be something between the Photos - Affinity Photo link. If you click on "edit" in Photos in the top right corner > More (...) > Edit in Affinity Photo, than Save, it saves the file regardless of how fast/slow you close it after you pressed Save. 

24 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

It seems to be something between the Photos - Affinity Photo link

You're right in saying that; the problem doesn't occur with whatever files I open and save otherwise.

But I can't find out what you mean with the procedure you suggest.

On my Mac there is no "More" when I click on the "Edit" button in the top-right corner.

There are two ways, I can make the connection between Photos and AP: right-click in the image and choose "Edit with . . ." > Affinity Photo.

The other one: choose "Edit with . . ." > Affinity Photo under "Image" in the menu bar of Photos.

Both lead to the same error I described before (no saving of the edited image)

OK, this could be great.

I tried (had to activate all the AP extensions first) . . . . Retouch, Develop, Miniature etc. all work fine, but "Edit in Affinity Photo" gives the error msg on the bottom of the screen :"Affinity Photo could not be launched. Please press cancel".

Sorry for the delayed reply. Your new post did not create a notification.

Can you please install the beta and see if the beta works fine when you "edit in Affinity Photo"? 

Can you also confirm if your Affinity Photo.app is located in the root of your Macintosh\Applications folder?