Lately, I very often get crashes when multiple files are open. AP closes down completely; after restarting all open files are opened again, sometimes without the latest adjustments.

I'm not sure yet, but I think this especially happenes when AP is started by choosing AP as the program to edit images from within Fotos (for Mac).

The Mac shows a crashreport which can be sent to Apple. Wouldn't it be better to send the report to AP as well ? I attached the latest one.

The crash occurred when I closed one of the open files (all from Fotos) after saving, instead of closing the file, AP closed down without saving the other ones..

Another strange thing that happenes a lot: when working on one of the open files, a keystroke does not perform the supposed action, but instead makes one of the other open files become active.

Even make all of the others become active in a short sequence (one after the other). Like some unknown user took over the mouse.

Affinity Photo_2019-03-14-144621_iMac-van-Gerrit.crash

Update (hope this is what you meant)

I'm using the latest version of AP.

I cannot exactly reproduce it; I can only tell you as much as possible about the circumstances.

It happenes with different files

I'm working on the latest MacOS 10.14.3

I think the problem only occurs in connection with Fotos for Mac

Did some experimenting:

- opened 6 images from within Fotos by choosing (left mouse) edit in AP.

- images open in AP

- perform all kinds of different actions (macro's - painting on added layers - saving and closing etc.)

- all seems OK.

- opened the same images again; repeat the procedure

- and then . . . . after closing one of the images (say the fourth) . . . . . AP closes down with a (Mac) crashreport (added again)

Affinity Photo_2019-03-14-160625_iMac-van-Gerrit.crash

That's not really enough information to be able to reproduce it. It would be helpful if you notice a pattern or if you can capture this in a screen recording. If it happens randomly it can be anything. 

You can try to reset the app's preferences and see if that fixes the issue. 

You can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app will now open.

Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. To backup such settings before resetting the app, please watch our Affinity - Exporting User Settings and Keyboard Shortcuts video.

Hey, Gabriel

The only thing I can reproduce are the circumstances.

1. Open bunch of files from within Fotos

2. Perform some random actions/edits on them

3. Save and close them

4. After 5 -10 of these actions, AP crashes after closing a file.

5. This happened in a test situation 5-6 times during the last hour.

6. Every time the actions were different; the order was different; the file that caused the crash was different.

7. How do you want me to reproduce (seemingly) random behavior.

BtW: I did a reset to default on AP

I downloaded the beta, installed it and did a first test (like yesterday).

First results > no crashes but this time only 1 (out of 6) images was actually changed.

I performed various edit-actions on them and after that saved each of  them.

In yesterday's tests I used several macros from the "distortions", "image styles" and "light leaks" sets, but I don't know how to install them in the beta.

I did a (finder)search action on "vintage summer" (with system-files included) with no result.

I know, Gabriel, I tried that, but than I have to find the location.

I could import a macro I got from another user, but that was still in my downloads folder. 

I guess the sets I mentioned are somewhere hidden in a system folder (not in application support . . . . wait . . . 

I copied the macros.propcol file from the install version (in application support/affinity photo/user/) to the same spot for the beta version.

Now I got them. 

OK, I guess the link from within Foto's causes the problems.

In 1.7 the changes I made in the files are not saved at all. Where these changed images are is a mystery.

Spotlight only finds the (unchanged) versions from yesterday.

Open recent... in AP 1.7 is empty.

Tried the same actions choosing AP 1.6 from within Fotos > only one file (out of 6) files is changed.

None of the are in the Open recent . . .menu.

I guess I have to forget about the (inside) link between Fotos -AP at all, for the moment.

Ok, here it is.

Explanation: What I did was:

1. (screen AP 1.6)

changing the proportions of 5 images from Fotos (must have gone something wrong some years ago).

Selected them > chose "Edit with . . . " > AP

Change to other screen and edited / saved all of them.

When I go back to Fotos, AP crashes (the crashreporter dialog is visible) > click OK

In Fotos the two selected images are still unchanged, the other ones are OK.

2. (screen AP 1.7)

Repeated the whole operation again  in 1.7 (this time without rotating) > none of the images are changed.

In 1.7 no crashes

3. (no movie)

Repeated the same actions, but now one by one image > again the two middle images stay unaffected.

But then . . . . . the same actions on the middle images but now  slowly >  all OK.

I get the impression that clicking on "Save flattened" and immediately after that give the keystroke cmd-W stops the saving progress.

It is very well possible that the crashing problems I wrote about earlier, are caused by mouse- and keystroke actions performed quick after each other.

A way of doing that never caused problems in Photoshop. PS reminds all the successive actions and performs them one-by-one (even if they take tens of seconds).

Confirmation: Did the whole procedure again, but now on some 20 images together. All works fine, as long as all the actions are performed slowly and clearly separated from each other.

Of course I could get used to that, but it slows down the workflow considerably.

The only weird thing that still happens is, that when going to the menubar, to select some item, AP flips through all the open files and brings one of the others to front.

29 minutes ago, Gerrit Velthuis said:

Looks like hitting cmd W before AP confirms that saving has finished cancels the saving process and leaves the file unaffected.

This sounds right. You're technically cancelling the saving process before it updates. I managed to replicate this, but it's not a bug. You just need to wait for the "Updating file" dialogue to disappear. After that, you can close the project file. 

OK, Gabriel, maybe no bug, but I don't think I know any program that acts that way.

On the contrary; it sometimes happenes that a (too quick) keystroke cannot be turned back, when you wish it could (f.i. when the initiated process takes a very long time).

It means a serious disadvantage in terms of speed and workflow.

Bear in mind that this not only saves to the desktop. There's a link between Photos and Affinity photo while you "edit in". Regardless of what app you're using, you should not be closing a file while it's saving. 

OK, Gabriel, you seem to be sure about that.

I don't know any app. that let's you interfere with the saving process (btw with any process, unless there is a dialog with a cancel button).

Yes, back in the 80's there were some that let you stop processes with cmd-point (.) or cmd-esc. 

I remember  protests when these options were gradually left out.

But it's not worth arguing . . . thanks for the support.

44 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

This sounds right. You're technically cancelling the saving process before it updates. I managed to replicate this, but it's not a bug. You just need to wait for the "Updating file" dialogue to disappear. After that, you can close the project file. 

That doesn't sound right, if you initiate a Save, then nothing should be able to cancel that save unless there's a specific Cancel button on the "Saving..." dialogue box. (or in some cases the ESC key)

At the very least the Ctrl+W, done during the save, should give a warnign along the lines of "changes to the file have not been saved do you want to save them?" just like it would do if you try to close a normally edited document

Being able to just close the document (and lose all changes) whilst a save is in progress seems crazy to me. 

Fortunately I cant get it to happen on my Windows PC (it always saves once initiated) so maybe it's just a MAC thing      :35_thinking:

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.