You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Flummoxed by Blend checkbox on Undo brush

OK. I'm flummoxed. Figuring out the Undo Brush, I've understood everything, except how to use the Blend checkbox. All I want is a simple example that shows it working. I've spent ages trying various history panel and snapshot fiddles and I'm darned if I can see anything different happening.

Help!

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

From the Undo Brush Tool help topic:

Blend—when selected (default), pixels which do not overlap those in the selected history or snapshot state are unaffected, allowing the blending of the current document state with the selected, previous state. If this option is off, all pixels are returned to the previous state when painted.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

13 minutes ago, R C-R said:

pixels which do not overlap those in the selected history or snapshot state are unaffected

But what does that mean? Doesn't the history or snapshot state involve the complete image? How would any pixels not overlap that?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Doesn't the history or snapshot state involve the complete image?

Doesn't that depend on the history or snapshot state you are trying to undo to?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

34 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Doesn't that depend on the history or snapshot state you are trying to undo to?

For history, perhaps. But a snapshot is of the complete document. I'm having a hard time understanding what is meant by pixels overlapping those in the document or not overlapping them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I'm with Walt here. I read the description N times, wondered at ambiguity, and tried all variations I could think of. I just want a simple roadmap (check Blend, do x see y; uncheck Blend, do x see z) so I can see it working.

Dave Straker

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

2 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

Hi all

At the moment, the box does not seem to have any effect. I have logged it with our developers for further clarification. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Thanks, Gabe. Sometimes I find stuff that I can't make work and wonder if it's me or a bug. Often it's me. Nice to get a break this time. :)

Dave Straker