You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

.112 mask editing bugs

Hi

I am trying to edit a mask.

In photoshop, if you have the mask selected in the layer panel, you can then manipulate the mask while seeing the overall composition. This does not work. Using the delete key to try to delete a portion of a selection sometimes results in deleting the mask. Not great (same complaint about accidentally deleting layers from before)

Moreover, if I select 'edit mask', it displays it. I have some bits that are black, others that are white (as expected). Now, if I use a marquee to delete a bit of the black, it creates more black. If I use a white paintbrush it creates more black, if I use a black paintbrush it creates more black. And, you guessed it, if I use the eraser (regardless of whether the background colour is set to black or white)... it creates more black.

Essentially, it seems, that mask editing is broken.

Does anyone know of any work arounds while this is fixed?

thanks

Robin 

I have now tried with a paint bucket and it does work. Although not very easily controllable. Then choosing a paint brush again and now it works.

Is this another bug immediately after installation that miraculously disappears? It wouldn't be the first time that has happened for me with this and publisher beta.

This is intended workflow... eraser tool will clear mask, paint brush will add opacity (depending on color), but some tools not working on mask. for example color picking - it will take color from composed image.

32 minutes ago, IPv6 said:

This is intended workflow... eraser tool will clear mask, paint brush will add opacity (depending on color), but some tools not working on mask. for example color picking - it will take color from composed image.

I’m sorry but you haven’t read my original post properly. 

• Staff
On 3/14/2019 at 11:32 AM, robinp said:

In photoshop, if you have the mask selected in the layer panel, you can then manipulate the mask while seeing the overall composition. This does not work. Using the delete key to try to delete a portion of a selection sometimes results in deleting the mask. Not great (same complaint about accidentally deleting layers from before)

Hi robin,
Can you record a small clip showing your workflow/performing the above with the Layers panel visible so we can see what it's happening? Deleting a selection with a layer mask selected in the Layers panel should fill that area on the mask with black, "deleting" the corresponding area of the image affected by the mask.

I'm not able to replicate the issues you mentioned next: painting with white on a mask should paint it with white not black - again a screenshot or a record showing the issue (with the Layers panel visible) would help immensely. The Eraser should erase the mask (fill it with black) - this is by design. The behaviour you are probably expecting - white to reveal/black to conceal - only applies to the Paint Brush Tool.

On 3/15/2019 at 10:16 AM, MEB said:

Hi robin,
Can you record a small clip showing your workflow/performing the above with the Layers panel visible so we can see what it's happening? Deleting a selection with a layer mask selected in the Layers panel should fill that area on the mask with black, "deleting" the corresponding area of by image affected by the mask.

I'm not able to replicate the issues you mentioned next: painting with white on a mask should paint it with white not black - again a screenshot or a record showing the issue (with the Layers panel visible) would help immensely. The Eraser should erase the mask (fill it with black) - this is by design. The behaviour you are probably expecting - white to reveal/black to conceal - only applies to the Paint Brush Tool.

Hi

I have just been trying to get it to behave like it was the other day but I cannot get it to replicate. Indeed, the behaviour is now exactly as you describe above.

On the subtlety of how the eraser works, I think it is a strange design choice. I would expect the eraser to 'paint' the opposite of the brush. Ie, if black is selected for foreground and white for background, then the eraser would create white and the brush would paint black... and vice verser if the colours are swapped.

On the specific issues I was having, I will keep an eye out and record it if it starts happening again.

Robin

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.