You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am trying to make a new style from the attached image.

-I select "ALL" and the selection handles appear around the image

-In the styles panel, I click "New style from selection"    &   nothing happens!  :/

Where am I going wrong?

New style.png

Golden background style.png

Golden wave background.afphoto

PAULRFONTENOT ;-)

Late 2013 iMac/32gb ram/2tb ssd     2018 MacBook Pro/32gb ram/1 tb ssd

Affinity Designer/Designer Beta

Affinity Photo/Photo Beta

Affinity Publisher Beta

A created Style can include the fill, color, and transparent properties of selected vector shapes & text, but for other object types I think layer effects (fx) & transparency are the only properties that would be included. Your image does not seem to have any of those properties applied to it, so there is no style that can be created from it.

BTW, it seems your .afphoto file was created in the 1.7 customer beta. As a courtesy to users who are not testing the beta, it would be good to mention that in posts that include them, since they won't be able to open them if they download them to help you out.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hello @PAULRFONTENOT,

@R C-R has declared, how Styles yourself on vector graphics and pixel graphics affect.
In your attached file I noticed that the selections not very well selected is.
This makes the application of styles very difficult.
An option would be,  that tracing the contour with the pen tool, then apply the styles on the curves.

Style applied  with improved pixel selection

525791038_Style-Pixel.png.5649768481bcd1bb9581e638073b0dc8.png

Style applied to curves

1203490378_Style-Curves.png.2f989129aada42e85d9272d630279cbc.png

The attached file is created with Affinity-Photo Beta 1.7

Golden wave background-2.afphoto

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

Thank you Gnobelix for your contribution.

Thank you R C-R for your input: you actually caused the light to go on in my head and I had a revelation.

9 hours ago, R C-R said:

A created Style can include the fill, color, and transparent properties of selected vector shapes & text, but for other object types I think layer effects (fx) & transparency are the only properties that would be included. Your image does not seem to have any of those properties applied to it, so there is no style that can be created from it.

BTW, it seems your .afphoto file was created in the 1.7 customer beta. As a courtesy to users who are not testing the beta, it would be good to mention that in posts that include them, since they won't be able to open them if they download them to help you out.

Here's how I got to where I wanted to go:

-Create a new image

-"Place" my background image.

-Select the background image.

-Select Document/Convert to Curves

-With the new layer selected:

1.  Select preferences on the styles panel

2.  Select "Create style from selection"

3.  Rename the style

-Insert text onto the document

-Apply new style "Gold Wave" to the text.

-Export the new style

I have found that when I try to import the Affinity Photo style into Affinity Designer, the file imports but just shows blank ????  Shouldn't we be able to import styles between Affinity applications?

APPLY %22GOLD WAVE%22 STYLE.png

CREATING NEW STYLE.png

Gold wave-1.6.7.afphoto

Gold wave-Photo-1.6.7.afstyles

Gold Wave.afstyles

PAULRFONTENOT ;-)

Late 2013 iMac/32gb ram/2tb ssd     2018 MacBook Pro/32gb ram/1 tb ssd

Affinity Designer/Designer Beta

Affinity Photo/Photo Beta

Affinity Publisher Beta

9 minutes ago, PAULRFONTENOT said:

I have found that when I try to import the Affinity Photo style into Affinity Designer, the file imports but just shows blank ????  Shouldn't we be able to import styles between Affinity applications?

OK, to begin with you can't use styles created in the 1.7 beta versions with the 1.6 retail versions, so if you create a style category in the Affinity Photo 1.7 beta it will not import into either of the 1.6 retail apps. A style category created in either 1.6 retail app should import into the other 1.6 retail app & into either 1.7 beta app without issues. This is why it is always a good idea to specify which app you are using (& ideally to post questions about the beta versions in the appropriate beta forum).

That said, I am not sure what you mean about 'exporting the new style' -- AFAIK, you can only export a style category, so a screen shot of the "Gold Wave" category in the app (beta or retail) that you say shows blank may help. For me, importing your "Gold Wave" categories import without problems, as long as I don't try to import the 1.7 (?) one into a 1.6 app. Aside form that, they all work as expected, & the "Gold Wave" style appears in the Styles panel exactly as it does in your screenshot pointing to it.

Last but not least, the style you created apparently sets a bitmap fill & does nothing else. That works for me, applying the "gold wave animation-2019-03-12_17-25-28" bitmap image as a bitmap fill to whatever object I apply it to. To see this, in Designer select object with the Fill Tool -- it is the same in Photo except the tool is just named "Gradient." Either way, you should see in the Context toolbar the "Context:" set to "Fill" & the "Type:" set to "Bitmap."

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7