You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey everyone. I'm designing a chess board as a floor. I'm probably not using a standard method but for my goal: I'm using the pen tool to draw vertical and horizontal lines (they are distorted purposely.) The lines intersect giving the impression that they are forming squares but obviously they're not in terms of color filling. How can I tell affinity to make shapes out of these lines to be able to color? I couldn't imagine when I purchased that it would be this inconvenient to do something that seems relatively simple. I just spent hours designing characters using the pen tool and can't color any of it lol. Sorry for the novel, I'm new to this. Thanks again.

Affinity Designer or Affinity Photo?

Just because intersecting lines make a square doesn't mean that there is a square there to be filled. I know some apps can fill that space and will treat it as a closed space

A much simpler option would be to use squares and the power duplicate feature, once you have the correct number of squares to form the chessboard grid you can use the Perspective Tool to distort the group of squares.
Screen-Shot-2019-03-14-at-06-54-32.png

Take a screenshot of what you are trying to achieve.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

5 hours ago, firstdefence said:

A much simpler option would be to use squares and the power duplicate feature, once you have the correct number of squares to form the chessboard grid you can use the Perspective Tool to distort the group of squares.

Be aware that there is no Perspective Tool in Affinity Designer & the Perspective Tool in Affinity Photo destructively creates a pixel layer from the selection, so if you are using Affinity Photo it is a good idea to work on a duplicate group & use sufficiently large dimensions for the squares that the resulting pixel layer does not look overly pixelated.

If you are using Affinity Designer, about all you can do is skew/shear the group, but that won't create anything that looks much like a perspective. :(

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

And yet another option would be to just use a checkerboard bitmap pattern

1. Create a square with the rectangle tool and make sure its selected
  2. Click on the Gradient Fill Tool
  3. Select Type: as Bitmap and use the Png file below to get an 8x8 grid.

Checkerboard.png.867c88280dd805dfb1a7e9a31e3060b9.png

Example
1370207346_ScreenShot2019-03-14at18_10_20.png.1a6f84a511134803d4e9947970368eb4.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Working on this topic, I came across something useful. 

I made a standard old fashioned 1 point perspective grid. There are several ways to make the trapezoid tiles. For this one, I just used the pen tool to fill a column w. alternate colored tiles. 

The .mov file shows that that column can be selected, shifted along the base line, and then skewed to fit the new location. I didn't expect the skew to work so easily & well. The trapezoids are easier to form in the 1.7 beta, which has better node positioning. What is shown was done in 1.6, and required some fussing to get good shaping.

The method works w. multiple columns. In this case, 2 would have been better. 3 and/or 4 columns work too, but there seems to be some distortion.

One may fill a perspective grid by drawing only the elements for 2 columns, and repeatedly copying and skewing them. The results are decent, and once made, the whole group can be transformed to make different perspective grids.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet