You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have a large image and I created a new image. I want to copy part of the large image and paste it into the new image. I've tried following the cutting out video on YouTube but haven't had any luck. When I get to the paste part, nothing shows up on the new image. In paint shop Pro you put a selection around the part of the image you want to copy and hit CTRL-C. You then go to new image, open the edit tab, and hit "paste as new selection" the copied image shows up and you can position it where you want it then close the selection. How is this done on affinity photo?

Jim Birke

Edited by jameslbirke

Do you have the correct layer(s) selected when you copy?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks for that reminder. I guess the answer to your question was no. After I selected the background layer on both images the paste function worked. I have other questions about the results that I got and, as soon as I figure out how to put them in words, I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Jim Birke

Good morning Bruce. This is the further issue I have about my cutting out experience.
My original image is a scaned drawing it measures 18 x 60". My new image measures 8.5 x 14" I used the selection brush to select an area measuring about 9 x 12". When I pasted it on the new image, only about half of the selection appeared and it was positioned on the right-hand side of the image with no way of re-positioning it. When I increased the size of the new image to 9 x 30", a new selection appeared positioned approximately in the center of the image.
Since I am a newbie, I'm probably doing this all wrong. Maybe you can help.
Jim Birke

Sounds like a pixel resolution mis-match. That is my own term. What are the dimensions in pixels of the two documents/images. Also I am just assuming we are talking about Affinity Photo 1.6.x and not the new Beta (nor Affinity Designer 1.6.x or Beta).

You might be better off just pasting the whole image in the new document and masking the parts you want, although that will mean a large file size (megabytes not inches).

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

The resolution (DPI) is the same on both images. I think I see what's going on but I don't understand why. The selection on the image that I wanted to copy started at the 8 inch mark and extends to the 22 inch mark on the horizontal ruler. The  selection on the new image also starts at the 8 inch mark on it. That image is only 14 inches wide which explains the offset.
How do I get the pasted selection to start at the zero mark on the new image? I thought that that would happen by default.

Oh, I'm using version 1.6.5 .135.

Edited by jameslbirke
add info

5 minutes ago, jameslbirke said:

How do I get the pasted selection to start at the zero mark on the new image? I thought that that would happen by default.

<joke> Our ideas about default behaviours are not meshing with the software's concept. </joke>

Choose the move tool and select the layer with the pasted picture and then physically (metaphor only) drag it into position. You can also resize it with the corner and side handles.

20 minutes ago, jameslbirke said:

I wonder if "affinity for dummies"has been printed yet.   :35_thinking:

I have it on special order, the folks at the bookstores know to flip the sign to Closed when they see me coming along. [it-hasn't-been-written-yet emoticon] [exasperated-bookstore-clerk emoticon]