Jump to content
beanyyz

Feature Request: Swap Two Placed Images.

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I'm using Affinity Publisher to design a photo album and would like to have added, the functionality to swap the position of two images that are placed into separate Picture Frames.  Shift+select the two frames that contain the images and then right-click to switch the images inside the frames. Or even better, drag an already placed image onto another placed image and have them automatically have their placement position swapped.

Also a "Show In Finder" function for linked assets would be welcome.

 

Thank you!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, beanyyz said:

Shift+select the two frames that contain the images and then right-click to switch the images inside the frames.

A somewhat unusual, but not particularly unwelcome request.

 

11 hours ago, beanyyz said:

Or even better, drag an already placed image onto another placed image and have them automatically have their placement position swapped.

I don't think this one is going to be practical.  Dragging a placed image will generally cause it to be transformed (moved), and it is perfectly valid for images to overlap on the page.

 

11 hours ago, beanyyz said:

Also a "Show In Finder" function for linked assets would be welcome.

Yes, this totally would be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 11:43 PM, beanyyz said:

I'm using Affinity Publisher to design a photo album and would like to have added, the functionality to swap the position of two images that are placed into separate Picture Frames.  Shift+select the two frames that contain the images and then right-click to switch the images inside the frames. Or even better, drag an already placed image onto another placed image and have them automatically have their placement position swapped.

Also a "Show In Finder" function for linked assets would be welcome.

These are all good candidates for scripting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Seneca said:

These are all good candidates for scripting.

Yep. There is an included JavaScript in QXP that swaps the places of two images.


My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Seneca said:

These are all good candidates for scripting.

I would rather have the image swapping function built into the program as opposed to a script by a third-party.  Scripts can sometimes cease to work when the app gets updated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, beanyyz said:

Scripts can sometimes cease to work when the app gets updated. 

So can features that are built-in, as this beta process has evidenced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, fde101 said:

So can features that are built-in, as this beta process has evidenced.

What I forgot to add to my reply before was that built-in features are supported and tested by the developer. I do not expect the same level support from a third-party script who has no obligation to provide updates in a timely manner. 

No one wants to ask "Will the scripts that I use, which are critical to my workflow/efficiency, function with the new update." Maybe you do, but I do not need that extra complication when on deadline.

I am not against scripts, but I think an image swapping/replacement feature would be more suited as a built-in function. This is actually a deciding factor for me. Coming from using InDesign (with scripts haha), and also a dedicated photo album design software (SmartAlbums); Affinity Publisher is an opportunity to replace ALL those options for me in a single software package that offers the workflow efficiency, control, and flexibility I desire. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×