casterle

Mask misbehavior

I was following a tutorial which included several layers, each with a mask. When I finished the tutorial, I wanted to experiment further. I added a Pixel Layer and filled it with pure red, but it filled as if a mask were applied (but not a mask that exists in the file - close, but the missing bits at the left edge do not appear on the similar mask):

image.png.2e3252cddb37f4096057f4dfd9d6d289.png

I deleted the layer then turned off all of the other layers (including unchecking the masks in each) and repeated the experiment. Same result. 

I then followed the pattern of deleting the new Pixel Layer, then deleting one of the layers with a mask, recreating the Pixel Layer and filling it. Same result each time. I'm left with a file (attached) in which I seemingly cannot add a maskless Pixel Layer.

The file contains 2 layers, the new Pixel Layer (unfilled) and the image I started with - note that it contains no masks (as I've deleted the layers with masks). If you Shift-F5 and fill the Pixel Layer with a color, you should see the fill applied with the non-existent mask. If you delete the Pixel Layer and recreate it, the same thing happens when you apply the fill.

I discovered the issue using the release version and reproduced it with the .258 beta. I presume reporting it here will suffice. 

Edit: I didn't really reproduce the issue in the beta - I took the file I created in the release version into the beta and saw the same behavior. I need to reproduce the whole thing in the beta which will take some time. I'm working on it now & will update this post when I've verified my claim.

Edit: I don't think the beta is at fault - I can't reproduce it at any rate, and I notice the behavior is a bit different between the release version and the beta.

Given that it does not seem to occur in the beta (as long as I start with a fresh file), is there a reason to report this against the release version?

Unwanted_Mask.afphoto

Windows 10 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP & AD

On the current release, I was able to recreate your problem on the provided file. It looks like you have a hidden selection somehow.  But, after I hit Ctrl-D (Deselect) the problem disappeared. 

You can see in the Channels Panel that there is a pixel selection, you can also see it if you toggle the Quick mask mode on. What's strange is that you should see the "marching ants" of a selection if you toggle the quick mask.

On 3/14/2019 at 3:23 AM, Ray S. said:

You can see in the Channels Panel that there is a pixel selection, you can also see it if you toggle the Quick mask mode on. What's strange is that you should see the "marching ants" of a selection if you toggle the quick mask.

You're right about the Pixel Selection Channel - I hadn't noticed that. Something is narfed in the file, I expect.

Windows 10 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP & AD