You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF problems - WHY RASTERISE VECTOR?????

Trying to trick affinity designer do something super simple - create a pdf with a vector barcode ?????? FFS I've tried lots of tricks it's on the very top layer and placed inside a white rectangle to the usual size I've used for years - seems whatever I do it just rasterises which also antialiases it which could potentially misread - I'm using the work around which involves ditching Art boards, as yesterday I was trying to get the files off to the printers but generating PDF/x 2001a and 2004 would rasterise everything - now I know it's an Art board bug so I've set it all up as single pages which works as expected for most things but there are a few things that are simple vector info that rasterise - including the barcode - is this a another known bug - is down to vector info being placed inside a vector box = raster on output???? 

Please help if theres an easy work around - although I'm gonna try taking the barcode out of the vector box, trimming to size and place on top - which has to work -

NOT GOOD 

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 11.34.53.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 11.35.47.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 11.36.16.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 11.36.52.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 11.37.10.png

AV01_outer.afdesign

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Just managed to trick Affinity into outputting a PDF/x 2001a with a vector barcode ---- it appears when the barcode is placed inside a vector container it rasterises - I've trimmed down to size and placed over the white box and it generates as vector, even grouping remains vector but if I place inside the box it rasterised - Pretty big bug if it remains un-squashed ---- I'm guessing it's somehow seeing it as a mask which you would expect to rasterise?

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Damn --- I've got 3 production jobs which will be affected ---- hope they sort it soon

Just run a test an a new document -- taken a bunch of vector barcodes and place 6 on the page and 6 inside a vector box, when placed inside a vector they rasterise (see attached PDF)

TEST.pdf

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

13 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Glad you got it sorted.

I wouldn't say I got it sorted - I started an album cover vector illustration yesterday in the latest beta, which is all vectors placed inside vectors - i'll have to figure out some work around for getting it back into 1.7 - I know pdf format will just rasterise it - copy paste makes a right mess which would be a nightmare to sort out - aaaaagggghhhhhhh

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Everything you will have inside artboards or you have clipped inside another shape will be rasterized. This is something they are aware of and they are trying to fix it.

Try to click more on the export preset and choose rasterize to nothing and see if it help.

When you output with rasterise set to nothing, any layer effects, transparency, blend range and colour adjustments are lost - so the work around was to group and duplicate all the raster stuff, rasterise on a new layer and output PDF with rasterise nothing which seemed to work but on checking over in Acrobat I was getting some unusual overprinting issues on vectors?

I have a backup of the previous beta 1.7.0.4 and have run tests and it works perfectly as before it's just 1.7.0.5 --- I was enticed with the arrow head feature - LESSON LEARNED 

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Hi Sean - I ran tests and confirmed that vectors inside vectors was working again, I think I posted in the 1.7.0.7 download page - sorry mate, forgot to update here

But.... yes the barcode now outputs as vectors in 1.7.0.7 - also, the safety pin that was getting rasterised now outputs as vector.

TOP STUFF

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but to me not all PDF rasterization problems have been resolved in 1.7.07; while the pdf export now does put out vector graphics these get rasterized in Word, which did not happen before (exact same artboard, was not rasterized by Word after exporting as pdf with 1.7.04). Is this a known issue? Thanks!

Edit: narrowed it down: this seems to be occur when there is an embedded document as part of the export

Thanks for looking into it, Sean. Please see the attached Designer file; when exporting the artboard as a pdf ('for export') the resulting image seems to be vectors only, but Microsoft Office rasterizes it upon placing into a Word document. This does not happen when removing the embedded file. 

Rasterization_file

• Staff

Hi hubob,

Even removing the artboard still causes the issue in Word. However removing either the Embedded Document or the Transparency in the document will cause the export to place without the rasterisation in Word. I replicated the document layout in 1.7.0.4 and that is giving the same results as 1.7.0.7. As the PDF is going out as vector (verified in Acrobat) I would contact Microsoft about this issue.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.