You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Allow adding modifier keys during drag

At the moment, Alt+drag duplicates, but alt+click does not select: you need to have the object first selected, then alt+drag. This is quite tedious dealing with small objects, with which the transform handles tend to get in the way.

Please facilitate either immediate duplicating by alt+click -> drag without lifting mouse button, or by click+drag -> alt pressed while dragging. 

Keep up the good work!

iMac 27" Retina 2017, 3,4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, OS X Mojave | Long-time Adobe veteran (I still remember Aldus Pagemaker, HA!), making the big move after going freelance. Running Publisher Beta along with Designer and Photo desktop versions. Loving what you guys are doing.

Interesting point. Looks like alt-drag (opt-drag on Mac) with nothing selected simply brings up the selection rectangle. I cannot tell whether opt-drag in this context has any purpose, in contrast to shift-drag, which adds to a selection, shift-opt-drag removes from selection, and control-drag changes selection behavior. Does anyone know if opt-drag when nothing is selected has some particular meaning? If not, it seems opt-drag could well be used to duplicate whether or not something is selected.

In many apps, when you press alt simultaneously as you click+drag an object, you get a duplicate. It's actually quite a widely spread standard. The best apps let you add that alt while dragging :) 

iMac 27" Retina 2017, 3,4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, OS X Mojave | Long-time Adobe veteran (I still remember Aldus Pagemaker, HA!), making the big move after going freelance. Running Publisher Beta along with Designer and Photo desktop versions. Loving what you guys are doing.

I find that if I hold down the Option key with nothing selected and click <immediately> drag then I just get a selection area drawn out. But if I hold the Option key down and click to select something then drag I get a duplicate, the trick is to wait for the click to make the selection then drag.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

I find that if I hold down the Option key with nothing selected and click <immediately> drag then I just get a selection area drawn out. But if I hold the Option key down and click to select something then drag I get a duplicate, the trick is to wait for the click to make the selection then drag.

I think the suggestion is to allow it to duplicate immediately without the first click to select the object.

4 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

I think the suggestion is to allow it to duplicate immediately without the first click to select the object.

Without a selection what am I duplicating?

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

17 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Without a selection what am I duplicating?

You click to select an object and proceed to dragging, with the same click. Less clicks, less fuss. Especially with small objects with which you always have the transform handles in the way.

1 hour ago, Läppä said:

You click to select an object and proceed to dragging, with the same click. Less clicks, less fuss. Especially with small objects with which you always have the transform handles in the way.

Hold Option, click to select something and drag it. A copy is made as soon as I start dragging.

On 3/15/2019 at 1:53 PM, Old Bruce said:

Hold Option, click to select something and drag it. A copy is made as soon as I start dragging.

Why not be able to press option anytime while dragging? It should be possible to modify the given action at any time, it‘s a modifier key after all. As a Mac user I am used to this behaviour from macOS Finder. So I still find myself accidentally expecting it in Affinity apps where nothing will happen as long as I haven’t pressed option before I start dragging. I think this is an oversight as it wouldn’t interfere with anything else.